Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years

my son is 17 and is in the band and tonight after the football

my son is 17 and is in the band and tonight after the football game he was helping load band equipment onto two metal carts on wheels. Somehow he bent down between them at the wrong time and the corners of both the carts being pushed by other students crashed into his head behind his ears on both sides. Right after that he was dizzy and light bothered him, no nausea. he went and got food at McDonald's and sat down a while. It has now been 2 hours since the incident and he has two knots by his ears and a headache. I just gave his two Advil and he took a shower and is going to bed. What do I do?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 10 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer website.
Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

Did he have any discharge/ or bleed through ear/nose?
Did he bleed through head?
Is he having numbness in one side of body?
Breathing discomfort?
Is he drowsy?

Thanks
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

None of the above except sleepy. It is 30 minutes past midnight here and he went to school all day and then the game tonight and when he went to bed, he said he just felt tired and he has two knots, one behind his right ear and one above the left ear. He actually drove himself home.

Thanks for all these additional details.
I am sorry to hear about your son’s problems.

It is common to feel dizzy after such incidents.
Some of the serious symptoms to be checked are-

-Changes in alertness and consciousness
-Convulsions (seizures)
-Muscle weakness on one or both sides
-Persistent confusion
-Pupils of the eyes that are not equal in size
-Repeated vomiting
-Discharge or blood through ears/nose.

Good to hear, that he don't have any such serious symptoms. No need to get panic, he would not have developed any serious issue.

Such knots behind ear can be due to hematoma. It is the collection of blood outside of a blood vessel.

Also hematoma can be a tiny, with just a dot of blood or it can be large and cause significant swelling.

It is treated with- RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation)
You should apply ice packs for 10-15 minutes for atleast 3 times a day on such knots.

He should take adequate rest, and most likely would be better by tomorrow.

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

thank you very much. Should he be active over the weekend? He is wanting to go to the local "Fair" here in our area. It is outdoors, hot sun tomorrow, heat, and there are rides, etc. if we don't see any of the symptoms you listed/ in the morning, should we let him go? The carts that hit him were metal the and the corners hit him pretty hard.

Dear customer, I can understand your concern.

Yes, most likely he would be free from symptoms by weekend.
I can understand, that there is heat outside, and he is interested in going for fair.
Most likely, he would be absolutely fine after sleep. No need to get panic. Yes, he would be absolutely fine and can go for fair.

Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience: Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years