Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

My ear recently started this high pitch beeping off and on.

My ear recently started this high pitch beeping off and on. also that same ear gets numb on off and in from the inside spreading up a little above my ear on the side of my head. i have been getting these facial twinges too. just short littlr twinges on my chin or my lip or by my eyes. what is going on??
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 10 months ago.

Hello Sarah,
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

Since when are the twinges of face?
Are you diabetic / high blood pressure?
Are you on any medications?
Any significant past medical illness?
Were you exposed to any loud sound?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I can't remember exactly. I think a few months back maybe? Then they quit so i forgot about them but have felt them the past couple nights again. Before that though i think my facial numbness started first. Its always on the right side right by nose extending to the corner of my right eye. I also had a feeling of pressure in the right cheek bone. Thats when i went to the dr. It wad about 3 months ago. I was put on antibiotics for a possibility of bels palsy. It stopped for a bit then came back so i they gave me a cat scan if my sinus area and found out i have chronic sinusitus. That was 3 weeks ago. I have been on.antibiotics for it again ever since. My left ear beeping and jingling started 3 weeks ago also. Ear nose throat dr thought my ear looked fine and saud something about nerve damage and wanted to do a hearing test but i havent been able to yet. He put me on prednisone for 10 days for it. It seemed to die downafter a few days but started right back up 2 days left of the prescription. He said it didnt look like fluid behind my ear drum, but when i brush my teeth i feel vibrations in my inner ear canal. Again the ear numbness, same side as the beeping started about 3 yrs ago after a bad sinus infection. It died down also but has been happening a lot again yhe past 2 weeks.
No i am not diabetic and i dont have high bp.
Im on the antibiotics now have been several times past yr.
Significant illnesses? I have had asthma since 6 yrs, was diagnosed with a mitral valve prolapse about 2 yrs ago, i dont know if its important to note that i got glasses about a yr ago as well. My vision is much worse in my left eye. Other than that i was just sick A LOT last school yr ( i'm a teacher) and have undergone a LOT of stress for a yr and a half now. Got to relax this summer break but have been back under the stress again.
No loud sound exposure i can think of. I do play my music loud in the house and car.
One more thing, a yr ago i also started getting this feeling in my head sometimes where it feels like really fast pulsating or something, i rwalky only notice that when i lie down. I get dizzy sometimes too and always feel tired.

Thanks Sarah for the detailed response.

Let me at the outset tell you that all your symptoms can be due to chronic sinusitis. A recent treatment called as functional endoscopic sinus surgery (FESS) is the surgical procedure of choice for the treatment of chronic sinusitis, which has not responded to the antibiotics. You may get an MRI to see if the chronic sinusitis is persisting and than discuss the surgical treatment with your doctor.

An off and on beeping sound in ear is called as tinnitus. Tinnitus is a perception of sound in proximity to the head in the absence of an external source. The causes for it are; Anemia (decreased hemoglobin), Thyroid hormone imbalance, aberrant internal carotid artery , High jugular bulb, glomus lesions etc. You need to discuss your ENT doctor to get yourself examined and investigated by complete blood workup, Pure tone and brain stem evoked response audiometry, MRI & MRA, thyroid function tests etc.

This is not itself a serious condition, although an evaluation for underlying atherosclerotic disease, should be done by otolaryngologist (ENT specialist) or neurotologist. Following investigations may also be required; an MRI with contrast initially, followed by CT/CT angiography and subsequent interventional angiography if necessary. Tinnitus is not a disease but a symptom of some underlying health problem, usually in the ear, which would need physical examination and investigations to find out the cause.

Following are the common causes;

1) Exposure to persistent loud noise.

2) Ménière's disease.

3) Ear wax

4) Eustachian tube dysfunction

5) Environmental allergy

6) Blood pressure fluctuations

7) Diabetes and thyroid conditions

8) Medications are an extremely common cause of tinnitus

If you are taking any anti-inflammatory analgesics for any kind of pain like toothache, they should be stopped. All aspirin-containing products and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs should be discontinued. Supplements like vitamin A, vitamin C, cyanocobalamin, and nicotinic acid, with magnesium, zinc, or copper are suppose to help.

Read the resource on tinnitus;

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/tinnitus/DS00365

Treatment for tinnitus is following if it is recurrent and affecting the daily routine;

1) supplementation with vitamin A, vitamin C, cyanocobalamin, and nicotinic acid, or with magnesium, zinc, or copper.

2) clonazepam 0.5 mg at bedtime has been suggested. Another suggested medication has been alprazolam.

3) Tinnitus masking; Many people do not notice tinnitus if there is some background noise in the room.

a) may turn an FM radio

b) opt to purchase sound generators (like producing the sound of ocean waves).

c) specific tinnitus-masking devices are also marketed.

4) Tinnitus retraining therapy (TRT) involves retraining the subconscious part of the auditory system to accept the sounds associated with tinnitus as normal, natural sounds rather than annoying sounds. The goal is for the person to become unaware of their tinnitus.

5) Biofeedback and stress reduction - Biofeedback is a relaxation technique that teaches a person to control certain body functions, such as heart and breathing rate. Biofeedback may help to manage tinnitus-related distress by changing their reaction to it. One may experience relief of tinnitus symptoms once they are able to stop thinking of their tinnitus as bothersome or stressful.

6) Herbal remedies - Combinations of herbs (also called botanicals) Ginkgo biloba and melatonin are suppose to be slightly beneficial in treating tinnitus.

All of these may be needed till a cause is found out.

Thus in your case revaluation by the investigations for persisting sinusitis and MRI of the ear, auditory canal and brain would be the first step. That should be able to give the concrete diagnosis. I would not be worried though as a serious or significant cause is not likely for your symptoms.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine