Hello Sarah, I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today. Since when are the twinges of face?Are you diabetic / high blood pressure?Are you on any medications?Any significant past medical illness?Were you exposed to any loud sound?
Thanks Sarah for the detailed response. Let me at the outset tell you that all your symptoms can be due to chronic sinusitis. A recent treatment called as functional endoscopic sinus surgery (FESS) is the surgical procedure of choice for the treatment of chronic sinusitis, which has not responded to the antibiotics. You may get an MRI to see if the chronic sinusitis is persisting and than discuss the surgical treatment with your doctor.
An off and on beeping sound in ear is called as tinnitus. Tinnitus is a perception of sound in proximity to the head in the absence of an external source. The causes for it are; Anemia (decreased hemoglobin), Thyroid hormone imbalance, aberrant internal carotid artery , High jugular bulb, glomus lesions etc. You need to discuss your ENT doctor to get yourself examined and investigated by complete blood workup, Pure tone and brain stem evoked response audiometry, MRI & MRA, thyroid function tests etc.
This is not itself a serious condition, although an evaluation for underlying atherosclerotic disease, should be done by otolaryngologist (ENT specialist) or neurotologist. Following investigations may also be required; an MRI with contrast initially, followed by CT/CT angiography and subsequent interventional angiography if necessary. Tinnitus is not a disease but a symptom of some underlying health problem, usually in the ear, which would need physical examination and investigations to find out the cause.
Following are the common causes;
1) Exposure to persistent loud noise.
2) Ménière's disease.
3) Ear wax
4) Eustachian tube dysfunction
5) Environmental allergy
6) Blood pressure fluctuations
7) Diabetes and thyroid conditions
8) Medications are an extremely common cause of tinnitus
If you are taking any anti-inflammatory analgesics for any kind of pain like toothache, they should be stopped. All aspirin-containing products and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs should be discontinued. Supplements like vitamin A, vitamin C, cyanocobalamin, and nicotinic acid, with magnesium, zinc, or copper are suppose to help.
Read the resource on tinnitus;
Treatment for tinnitus is following if it is recurrent and affecting the daily routine;
1) supplementation with vitamin A, vitamin C, cyanocobalamin, and nicotinic acid, or with magnesium, zinc, or copper.
2) clonazepam 0.5 mg at bedtime has been suggested. Another suggested medication has been alprazolam.
3) Tinnitus masking; Many people do not notice tinnitus if there is some background noise in the room.
a) may turn an FM radio
b) opt to purchase sound generators (like producing the sound of ocean waves).
c) specific tinnitus-masking devices are also marketed.
4) Tinnitus retraining therapy (TRT) involves retraining the subconscious part of the auditory system to accept the sounds associated with tinnitus as normal, natural sounds rather than annoying sounds. The goal is for the person to become unaware of their tinnitus.
5) Biofeedback and stress reduction - Biofeedback is a relaxation technique that teaches a person to control certain body functions, such as heart and breathing rate. Biofeedback may help to manage tinnitus-related distress by changing their reaction to it. One may experience relief of tinnitus symptoms once they are able to stop thinking of their tinnitus as bothersome or stressful.
6) Herbal remedies - Combinations of herbs (also called botanicals) Ginkgo biloba and melatonin are suppose to be slightly beneficial in treating tinnitus.
All of these may be needed till a cause is found out.
Thus in your case revaluation by the investigations for persisting sinusitis and MRI of the ear, auditory canal and brain would be the first step. That should be able to give the concrete diagnosis. I would not be worried though as a serious or significant cause is not likely for your symptoms.Please feel free for your follow up questions.
I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.
Thanks for using Just Answer.
We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply." Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.