Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I suffer from OCD and Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I currently

I suffer from OCD and Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I currently take Anafranil 75 mg Abilify 10 mg and recently started taking Latuda 20 mg. My question has to do with two things. I always obsess if ordinary movements by the body or looking at something will somehow harm the heart which I know is false so I have to keep building up reassurance that this is fine. The first question is lifting and lowering a glass and setting it on the counter and worrying about the heart does anything bad? Also does staring at a small head shot picture of a comedian on the front of a cash register then walking away affect the heart?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.
Hello Kevin,

Answers of your questions;

Is lifting and lowering a glass and setting it on the counter and worrying about the heart does anything bad?
No.

Also does staring at a small head shot picture of a comedian on the front of a cash register then walking away affect the heart?
No.

Nothing to worry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Dr Arun I am sorry for repeating questions but what is the best way to forget about walking away from the head shot of the comedian in front of the cash register as well as the setting down glasses so I can be reassured the heart if safe?

Kevin,

Removing the negative thoughts is the key. CBT plays the major role. You have to determine firmly that these activities would not harm the heart. They are absolutely unrelated.
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Dr Arun last night I had anxiety over repeatedly looking at the label tag on the back of my night shirt. I kept having a hard time taking my eyes off of it. Also as I was watching the movie I felt anxiety asking me how is my body staying alive? Is that just imagination playing with my mind from OCD? Also is there a way to stop looking at these labels immediately? These thoughts and actions do not affect the heart either? thank you

Yes it is imagination playing with your mind. These action do not affect heart. You should get away from the place.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Dr Arun I was watching one of my favorite science fiction shows on dvd and in one scene the console of the ship showing an outline of a ship highlighted seem to catch my eye both times in was shown. Since vision and heart are separate there is no reason to go back and freeze those scenes to look at because it may involve staring? Am I best to know just what I saw and not go back to repeat the scene in a freeze frame?

Yes Kevin. Please do not go back to repeat the scene in a freeze frame.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

today my stress level was up dealing with the public at work and unfortunately the urge to keep looking at the total price label on the scale kept on bothering me. Again vision and heart are separate and its completely okay to ignore it and only look at it when I am using the scale. I cannot cover the letters up because it will interfere with the calculated price total. Anything else I can do to distract myself from looking at the scale? Also tonight my pulse was racing a bit from anxiety and I was having that problem with setting down a glass bottle on the table. Again the act of setting the bottle down has no correlation to the heart function? thank you again

The act of setting the bottle down has no correlation to the heart function.
Vision and heart are separate and its completely okay to ignore it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Dr Arun I had some anxiety watching a tv program last night. In one of the scenes as I looked carefully at one of the characters ears I felt my pulse rate in my neck and then when the scene switched I felt like I should go back and look at the characters ears again. This has no effect on the heart function? and was the fast pulse in the neck just anxiety and the urge to look again OCD?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Dr Arun my OCD acted up twice today once at work while I kept looking at the white sensor alarm box on the top of the front window. How is the best way to stop looking at it?

Also I became nervous about setting down a plastic cup on a glass table because of fearing it would affect my heart but that is not true right?