Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience

I have experienced this twice in the last two hours: Sudden

I have experienced this twice in the last two hours:
Sudden onset of severe (15 on the scale of 1 to 10) pain in the front sides of my legs from about 3" below the knee to just above the ankle area. It actually begins with what feels like a leg cramp, and then quickly turns into something intolerable - burning, stabbing, not sure how to explain it. Ice helped calm it the first time around, after about 10 minutes of misery and screaming. The right leg calmed quicker than the left. Thought I had it under control and it came again about 30 minutes later. This time it took a little longer to calm the situation. By now, I have taken 2 arthritis strength pain pills, 3 Hylands Leg Cramp pills and the last time around added a muscle relaxant to the mix. I am sitting her calmly typing this feeling a slight tinge of a leg cramp in my left calf and of course, the rest of my is now very very tired. :)
I'm wondering if it is possible that these sudden onset things are caused by something dramatic like moving blod clots that would require me to make a visit to the emergency room, or more likely the result of change in diet or exercise.

Thank you for your question,

I’m Dr. Saha and I’ll try to help you.

Is there any redness, swelling in the legs?

Did you have MRI of spine for bulging discs?

What medicines are you taking now?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your assistance

No redness, yes swelling, yes cold feet

MRI 2 years ago verified the bulging discs - under current care

Regular meds include levothyroxine, lisinopril, ranitidine, and a handful of vitamins and minerals. The physician prescribed cyclobenzaprine on last visit because I was suffering from the back, hips, and such and having a difficult time getting an exercise program underway. I tried it for about three days (one before bed) and didn't like what it did to my brain, so cut it back to 1/2, which worked fine, and then quit. However, I did take one tonight in the second attack.

Did the swelling develop now?

Which parts are swollen, feet or leg?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Swelling seems to have come with the onset of the pain and seems to be receding now - did ice, then heat after it was calmed. More swelling on left leg than right, and the right leg calmed down quicker than the left.

Not a lot of swelling-minimal. In left leg calf and front (below knee above ankle)

Thank you for the information,

The symptoms can be due to pinched nerve.

As you have bulged discs they can press on the nerve.

That can be felt on both sides.

The pain can radiate down from knee to ankle.

But as there was swelling you need to rule out other causes like a clot.

Muscle spasm can also cause pain but swelling is unusual with it.

However, clot is unusual to develop in both legs at the same time.

An ultrasound examination of the leg, blood test, repeat MRI spine can be taken to confirm the cause.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

In the event it were related to something like a blood clot, could it move so quickly as to cause problems before morning when I can get to my regular physician for appropriate examination and testing? In other words, am I safe to just go to bed and wait this out tonight?

Sorry, the time can not be predicted.

It may not progress or it may progress suddenly.

However, your symptoms are not typical for clot.

But as there was swelling you need to be cautious.