Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I will occasionally-and I mean no more than once or twice a

I will occasionally-and I mean no more than once or twice a month- suddenly get very hot and begin to sweat. There's no accompanying dizziness, nausea, heart rate change-- no other symptoms whatsoever! It also only happens after I have been sitting at rest for about 15-20 minutes, and lasts only about 10 minutes or so. I am on oxycodone, citalopram, enalapril, doxazosin, glucosamine/chondroitin, Vit. D3, and krill oil; however, the sweats started before I began the oxy, citalopram, and the supplements. My only other symptom of concern (besides moderate to severe arthritic back and knee pain) is a general fatigue/sleepiness/malaise, but this is fairly chronic. Could it be thyroid? Just curious; it doesn't interfere with my life much, but feels weird!

I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

Several common medications occasionally produce increased sweating (hyperhidrosis). These are;

1) tricyclic and serotonin reuptake inhibitors,

2) opioid analgesics,

3) acyclovir,

4) naproxen.

Since you mentioned that it started before the medications, they and supplements are unlikely to be responsible. Since it comes during sitting or rest; investigations for thyroid, diabetes and autonomic neuropathy would be recommended. Another common cause of occasional increased sweating is anxiety or panic.

Hyperhidrosis (increased sweating) need investigations for following (some of which may have been investigated for you):

1) pheochromocytoma,

2) thyrotoxicosis,

3) diabetes mellitus,

4) diabetes insipidus,

5) hypopituitarism,

6) anxiety,

7) carcinoid syndrome.

If any episode has occurred in night time, which is termed as Nocturnal diaphoresis, it need investigations for;

1) tuberculosis,

2) lymphoma,

3) endocarditis,

4) diabetes,

5) Prinzmetal angina.

Having said that, many times, cause is not ascertainable (termed idiopathic) and is not important too as it resolves on its own, after some time. Since it does not accompany any other significant symptoms; this may be idiopathic.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much! Both my parents have type 2 diabetes. I sure hope it isn't that! I have so been trying to avoid it. My (occasional home monitored and research clinic) blood sugar levels have always been normal, but I will present my doctor with your answer and see what he says. This is the first time I have done anything like this and I am very impressed! This is neat! Thank you again,

Jon

You are very welcome, Jon.

No harm in getting investigated by a test called as glycosylated hemoglobin which tells about the 3 month average blood sugar and post meal blood sugar. Those can rule out diabetes categorically, if come out to be normal.

It is privilege assisting you.