Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained
16455829

I have protein in my with no infection and no bacteria

I have protein in my urine with no infection and no bacteria found, what could this be? I'm also 12 weeks pregnant. Thanks.
Hello
Thank you for your question.

The biggest concern with protein in the urine, also called proteinuria, during pregnancy is related to pre-eclampsia. That being said, this condition shows up after 22 weeks of pregnancy.

Urinary protein excretion is considered abnormal in pregnant women when it exceeds 300 mg/24 hours at anytime during gestation, a level that usually correlates with 1+ on urine dipstick. Proteinuria which is noted before pregnancy or before 20 weeks' gestation suggests preexisting renal disease.

So, you need to follow up with your doctor to evaluate your kidneys and to see what is going on. The most common risk factors are hypertension, diabetes, auto-immune disease, toxins, infection, medications.

I hope that this helped

Please leave positive feedback if it did :-)

HI amanda I was following up to see how you were doing :-)