Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience

Im 44 years old, lifetime nonsmoker, overweight and borderline

I'm 44 years old, lifetime nonsmoker, overweight and borderline diabetic. I've also been experiencing some perimenopause symptoms lately, such as a couple of missed periods and hot flashes. Now, my question: I have been experiencing intermittent right breast pain as well as pain in my right shoulder blade that varies from mildly irritating to moderately painful. The pain isn't always in both places at the same time. It stretches from the edge of the breast under my arm to about half way across the top towards the breast bone. It's been predominantly at night when I sleep on my right side or on my stomach with my arms above my head, but it sometimes occurs during the day if I'm driving or sitting for awhile. I tend to lean to the right when I sit and 90 percent of the time changing position will cause the pain to go away. I've done some stretching to see if that would help but I really think it made it worse. Breathing doesn't have any effect one way or the other and I don't have a cough. I've never had breast cancer but a couple of years ago I fell climbing through a window and had a rather large hematoma in the breast for over a year but it's been absorbed at this point.

Thank you for your question,

I’m Dr. Saha and I’ll try to help you.

Do you feel any lump?

Is there any tenderness locally?

When did the pain start?

How frequently do you feel it?

Did you take any medicine?

Did you consult doctor?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No lumps, no tenderness, no pain when I touch the breast at all, even when it hurts. Started about a month ago, sometimes I might have a slight twinge at night, then I change position and nothing for a whole day, other times it sort of nags at me all day and I have to keep shifting to make it stop. I take paxil (20mg), metformin (the minimum dose) and lisinopril (5mg, to protect my kidneys, I do not have high blood pressure). I haven't made a doctors appointment yet.

Thank you Diana, for the information,

The pain can be due to a few factors.

It can be musculoskeletal in origin.

Muscle strain, costochondritis can cause pain.

Those can be affected by position.

Sometimes other causes like a referred sensation from nerve impingement, gall bladder diseases can be there,

As there is no lump, tender point, it may not be related to breast issues.

However, I would suggest to have an examination by your doctor as the pain is continuing for a month..

If the pain is much, you can take tylenol, meanwhile.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Best wishes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I didn't think it was directly breast related, either, thank you for your opinion. But when you do searches on the internet it's easy to become convinced it's everything from lung cancer to a pinched nerve. I wouldn't think lung cancer wouldn't be likely but maybe a pinched nerve? Would menopause cause that kind of breast pain? Period breast pain for me has always been soreness, not aching or throbbing.

Sometimes non cyclical breast pain can occur in perimenopausal age.

This usually subsides gradually.

Your symptoms are unlikely to be from lung cancer.

You are not having any cough, breathing difficulty,or pain with breathing.

In internet searches, you will get all sorts of causes.

But those needs to be considered with other symptoms individually.