Chris C.
Chris C., Nurse
Experience:  Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.
66637759

Can I ask a food question regarding weight loss?

Category: Health
Expert:  Chris C. replied 1 year ago.

medtech254 :

Hello! I will be assisting you today. What is your food question?

Customer: I'm trying to lose about 15 LBS. I'm eating a lot of protein and veggies, but the weight isn't coming off fast enough. This week I eliminated alcohol as well, so that should help. My question is about using olive oil on grilled veggies. Will this prevent weight loss because of the fat content in the olive oil?
medtech254 :

A diet rich in olive oil has been proven to help with weight loss and weight management. But this is consuming a considerable amount of oil per day.

medtech254 :

The diet you are attempting does work but it is most effective if only proteins are consumed.

medtech254 :

It takes more calories to metabolize protein than the calories the body gains from them.

medtech254 :

That is why the weight comes off.

Customer: I'm also running 4.5 miles every day and lifting weights 3x per week.
medtech254 :

However, this can take a couple of weeks to start working.

medtech254 :

Good. Exercise is always important.

Customer: i just want to make sure I'm not eating too much.
medtech254 :

The protein diet does work and you can eat some veggies but it is best to limit them as well.

medtech254 :

I used this exact method to lose 40 lbs.

medtech254 :

That being said there are some things you MUST do.

Customer: Live always heard you can never eat too many veggies, but if I am using olive oil, I want to make sure not to eat too much.
Customer: Congratulations!
Customer: i need to be patient.
medtech254 :

With lots of red meat, etc your body builds up uric acid as a breakdown product which is what causes gout and kidney stones. This is normally only a concern if the diet is used long term though. The most important thing to do is consume lots of water.

medtech254 :

This is a MUST!

medtech254 :

You must wash out the toxins or you can become sick. If you drink at least 10 8 ounce glasses a day you are rfine.

medtech254 :

Also

medtech254 :

You should take a good weel rounded daily vitamin to supplement some of the vitamins you will not be getting from the variety of food you temporarily cut out.

medtech254 :

The weight does come off.

Customer: I've been taking the GNC men's sport multi pack.
medtech254 :

In fact after a few weeks you begin to feel really good.

medtech254 :

Ok those are good vitamins.

Customer: Thank you very much!
medtech254 :

So you can consume veggies with olive oil but I would limit the intake

medtech254 :

The protein and water method with vitamin and the exercise you are already doing will work given time.

medtech254 :

You are very welcome!

medtech254 :

Good Luck to you!

Chris C., Nurse
Experience: Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.