Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  M.B;B.S ; FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialties

Had the typical kidney stone pain started in lower right side

Customer Question

Had the typical kidney stone pain started in lower right side of back then progressed to lower front right side of abdomen. Small amount of blood in urine. All blood work was good. Doctor said CT showed that the area leaving my right kidney to my ureter was inflamed. The massive kidney stone pain is gone but i still have very sensitive right side/front of my abdomen. Hurts most standing/walking. Some while lying but not as severe. Pain level is only 3-4. But is almost always there and has been for 3 weeks. Any idea whats causing the pain? Could back herniation or muscle/nerve cause it?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Sohaib replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thank you for the question Keith.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.

This can still be from the inflamed ureter; and at this point i will suggest you to continue anti-inflammatory pain medicines like ibuprofen or naproxen for another week. See how this behaves in next few days and after stopping the medications.

And drink lot of water meanwhile.

A hernia is least likely here, since it presents with expansile swelling in the abdomen and causes pain only if it becomes significantly enlarged.

A pinched nerve in the spine (due to a prolapsed disc or vertebral degeneration) can be another cause, and an MRI of the spine will be the most useful test to diagnose this with certainty; but i would wait for another few days while taking anti-inflammatory agents before proceeding with further tests.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way i get credit for my time and expertise on your question.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

Hello Keith.
I hope you are fine.
Is there anything else i can help you with?
I will be glad to assist.