Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I had an ear t-tube surgery a month ago because of the fluid

Customer Question

I had an ear t-tube surgery a month ago because of the fluid in the middle ear and within a week I was getting better, (i mean I was having better hearing that comes and go), but then my ear got blocked and had no improvement at all, now I've been 3 weeks like that. Should I have to worry?
thank you in advance
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Hasan :

Hi

Dr. Hasan :

Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today. I will be happy to help you with your follow-up questions also.

Dr. Hasan :

I am going to address your primary concern but later you can ask anything you want.

Customer :

hi, thanks for rapid reply ..... as already wrote I had an ear t-tube surgery a month ago because of the fluid in the middle ear and within a week I was getting better, but then my ear got blocked and had no improvement at all, now I've been 3 weeks like that. Should I have to worry?

Dr. Hasan :

Yes you should worry because T tube should keep working and your hearing should be normal.

Dr. Hasan :

Now there can be two reasons for your hearing problem.

Dr. Hasan :

Either the cause of your decreased hearing this time can be separate or the simply the tube might have got blocked.

Dr. Hasan :

The first case needs further investigations but the second case can be managed easily by the doctor.

Dr. Hasan :

So you need to visit ENT doctor to get yourself examined.

Dr. Hasan :

You may need hearing tests again to get to the cause.

Customer :

the first could mean that I lost the hearing

Dr. Hasan :

To some extent yes.

Dr. Hasan :

let me figure this out.

Dr. Hasan :

Are there times when you hear perfectly normal and then hearing goes away?

Customer :

it happened only maybe a week after but then my ear got blocked once again and never opened again.

Customer :

just popping, clicking when simply run

Dr. Hasan :

and it happened suddenly?

Customer :

yes

Dr. Hasan :

If you move your finger above that ear in hair line, can you hear that sound?

Customer :

yes

Dr. Hasan :

Great.

Dr. Hasan :

Then loosing hearing is not likely.

Dr. Hasan :

Tube blockade is more likely.

Customer :

but when it happened I unconciously I held a breath and blew out, you know when trying to pop your ears

Dr. Hasan :

If you can hear the hair sound then it is most likely that your inner ear is working fine.

Dr. Hasan :

If it happened this way then this means that something has happened to your T tube.

Dr. Hasan :

This is good in one aspect that this can be managed.

Customer :

I am understanding.

Customer :

Ok thanks .... and the clicking is because of this

Dr. Hasan :

which clicking?

Customer :

when i run or do some sort of sports I have like clicking in my head

Dr. Hasan :

Yes it can be related to your tube.

Customer :

ok, if the case is about the Ttube, can be fixed and having back the hearing

Dr. Hasan :

Yes if it about tube (which it seems like), it can be fixed and you can be normal.

Customer :

something else, now in the mean time until I go to ENT, i still can do sports or I can make it worse?

Dr. Hasan :

No you can do sports but don't over exert.

Dr. Hasan :

Like don't do that sport where your intra abdominal pressure rises like workout etc.

Dr. Hasan :

Any question?

Customer :

no, thank alot for your time!!!!!

Customer :

thank you sooo much for your service

Customer :

:)

Dr. Hasan :

You are most welcome. I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.

Customer :

ok thanks Dr Hasan :)

Dr. Hasan :

:)

Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Hi, How i can help you? Any progress regarding your hearing? Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sorry for late reply. there is no progress since I wrote you.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Have you visited ENT?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes my ENT doc told me that he saw the tube but he isn't sure as he told there is the wax around the tube. he just told me that he is not doing anything right now. he told me to wait 6 to 8 weeks and see what happens

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
But what about hearing tests?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

he did nothing, he just told me it could be fixed on it's own. For this reason he told me to wait for sometime.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
In my opinion you should get tests now. At least pure tone audiometry should be done. Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

should I have to worry about it? What is the better to do contact him again? .... in addition I have the feeling of clicking in my head that seem that is getting worse

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
I think yes you should be concerned and should get hearing tests done.If there is no inner ear hearing loss then you can wait as much as your doctor wants. Yes you must request him.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i have a bit hearing in it but not that much. How I could know that there is no inner ear hearing loss? ... through the test?

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Yes finally it has to be through test.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

understood, but do you think that this could be fixed ? i mean get hearing back?

If I wait as the doctor told me I could continue to harm?

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Yes it can be fixed but earlier detection is necessary. Just be concerned but no need to be stressed. I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

okay .. thanks alot for your time !!! :)

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.

You are always welcome. I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more till you are satisfied, You can click the smiley to rate the answer. You can come back here to ask anything even after you have rated the answer. I will be glad to help you always.