Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

Thanks for the answers. I feel better about my trip. And

Customer Question

Thanks for the answers. I feel better about my trip. And that it's not likely serious. You were very professional, and knowledgeable.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Brian for the comments and taking time for it. I really appreciate it.

Please let me how the trip went. Also feel free if you have any follow up questions.

Wishing you all the very best,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Will a physician hear anything with a stethoscope with bronchitis? Dr says lungs sound goi in addition to X-ray being clear.

Yes Brian there can be physical examination findings as following;

1) pharyngeal (throat) erythema (redness)
2) localized lymph node enlargement (lymphadenopathy)
3) coarse rhonchi and wheezes (sounds heard on stethoscope) that change in location and intensity after a deep and productive cough.

Chest X-ray can be clear.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Could it still be bronchitis if lungs sound clear?
Brain,

It is quite unlikely to be bronchitis if lung sounds are clear and there are no other findings mentioned above.

It is privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Throat redness is the only constant symptoms in the ones mentioned above
The throat redness alone is more likely due to reflux laryngitis and in the absence of any other symptoms and signs and physical exam finding, chance of bronchitis would be quite low.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
And the reflux will cause soreness in the throat and chest,chest hurting off and on, and the shortness of breath at times? Just trying to research as much as possible. All the drs. Keep saying allergies, or chronic bronchitis. Didn't sound right to me. When they said that. Thank you
You are most welcome, Brian.

Yes, reflux can cause all these symptoms; soreness in the throat and chest, hurting off and on, and the shortness of breath at times. Following would be helpful;

A. Herbs;

1) Cranberry
2) Peppermint

B. Homeopathy

1) Nux Vomica
2) Pulsatilla

C. Nutrition and supplements;

1) Multivitamin; vitamins A, C, E, the B vitamins, and trace minerals, such as magnesium, calcium, zinc, and selenium.
2) Probiotic supplement
3) Omega 3 fatty acid
4) Avoid; cookies, crackers, cakes, French fries, onion rings, donuts, processed foods, and margarine.5) Also avoid; white breads, pastas, and especially sugar, red meats,
6) Eat lean meats, cold water fish, tofu, beans, olive oil
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
And is reflux overly serious, other than discomfort ?
No, reflux is not a serious issue, Brain. With proper treatment, you can resolve the symptoms and discomfort.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How confident do you feel ? I k ow u can't be 100 percent without examining me, But are my symptoms pretty cut and dry? Are you fairly certain it's a harmless reflux problem? It's just been hanging around for a month or so now. And it's kind of worked into my head thinking maybe there was somthing serious goin on.
Brian,

I am quite confident that this is unlikely to be serious, especially with your pretty good work up by your doctor. This sounds quite likely to be reflux as we see lot many patients with the same symptom conglomerate as yours. Please read this Mayo clinic resource which says that one of the common cause of chest pain is reflux;

http://www.mayoclinic.org/medicalprofs/noncardiac-chest-pain-pudd0212.html
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok. I understand. So. If the symptoms do not go away, how long should I wait to go back to my physician? Or is there anything I should be on the lookout for symptom wise that its getting better or worse?
If the symptoms gets worse, that would be an indication of going to the doctor. Otherwise you may continue the treatment for 1-2 weeks.