Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

I have LV heart failure but am putting on weight rapidly. Is

Customer Question

I have LV heart failure but am putting on weight rapidly. Is there ANY weightloss pill that actually works that is relatively safe for me to take?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. P. Jyoti replied 1 year ago.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Hello would you like to chat on this? Please type into your message box and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send the message so that we can have a live chat.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

are you controlling your diet and exercising?

Customer :

Hi, I am attempting to control my diet with restricted eating plans and moderate exercise. However, when I was first diagnosed with Heart Failure, I spent 18 months completely inactive and gained 4-5 stone. I am now able to be more active but not to the extent of losing weight. All I do is maintain the weight I am, which is too heavy.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hello

Dr. P. Jyoti :

I am afraid weight reduction pills are not advisable for you

Dr. P. Jyoti :

the pills generally do this by increasing the metabolic rate

Dr. P. Jyoti :

this can be dangerous in heart failure

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hence weight reduction pills are not recommended for you

Dr. P. Jyoti :

a program of exercise however is fully recommended

Dr. P. Jyoti :

it will help you to lose weight and at the same time help your heart also

Dr. P. Jyoti :

discuss with your doctor about the exercises that you can and should do for this

Dr. P. Jyoti :

but you cannot take pills for this

Dr. P. Jyoti :

take care

Dr. P. Jyoti :

If the question has been answered to your satisfaction, you need to rate my service positively.

Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Bonus is always welcome Thank you.
Dr. P. Jyoti

Dr. P. Jyoti :

any further questions?

Customer :

But it is now my weight that is restricting my life, more than the heart failure. I am limited in the amount of exercise I can do without suffering exhaustion. I also have an uncontrollable appetite. Could this be a side effect from my medications?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

yes thats right, some of the medicines that you take can cause increased appetite

Dr. P. Jyoti :

but the solution for this is not diet pills

Dr. P. Jyoti :

instead you need to control your diet and go for exercise

Dr. P. Jyoti :

you need a graduated program of exercise for this

Dr. P. Jyoti :

a trained physiotherapist or physical medicine specialist can chalk out an adequate exercise program for you along with a controlled diet plan

Dr. P. Jyoti :

this is the way to go to reduce weight

Dr. P. Jyoti :

discuss this with your doctor

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Dr. P. Jyoti

Dr. P. Jyoti :

any further questions?

Customer :

I have spent 8 months trying to do just that. You're not really telling me anything I didn't already know. My point is I have been unable to achieve the results but attempting this. I was looking for an alternative and not just the generic mantra that is dished out by most/all GPs.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

well, that is established medical advise

Dr. P. Jyoti :

as i was saying, there is no weight loss pill that can help you and you should not search for this easy way out

Dr. P. Jyoti :

instead you need to go for a diet plan and exercise

Customer :

No wonder there are so many over weight people then. Clearly that advice is not solving an issue that is worsening.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

well, overweight people just need to work harder

Dr. P. Jyoti :

they cannot expect a magic pill that will do all the work for them

Customer :

I'm actually appalled at your response and attitude.

Customer :

There is no point in continuing this consultation.

Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.
Hello, welcome to the site!

My name isXXXXX and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

An appetite suppressant like phenteramine is known to help patients lose weight, you may ask you doctor if he will prescribe it for you, it is to be used with caution in patients with heart disease