Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

Does bronchitis cause chest pain and shortness of breath?

Does chronic bronchitis cause chest pain and shortness of breath? All my X-rays are clear, and I have done a Spirograph. Good function, and no asthma. But coughing. Chest hurts between throat and chest. Sound basic? Or should I worry. Thank you.

Hello Brian,
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

Yes, chronic bronchitis can cause chest pain and shortness of breath. Please see the reference resource;

http://www.nationaljewish.org/healthinfo/conditions/copd-chronic-obstructive-pulmonary-disease/associated-conditions/chronic-bronchitis/

This may not be worrying but if you did not have an EKG and echocardiography, that would be recommended. Any chest pain regardless of site and severity would require these work up just for the caution. If these are already done, this is unlikely to be serious. Your symptoms also can be due to gastroesophageal reflux disease, which will require an endoscopy and barium esophagogram to establish it. Following measures can be tried meanwhile you are investigated;

1) antacids; Maalox

2) acid blocker; Prilosec

3) loosing weight, if overweight.

4) avoiding alcohol, citrus fruits and juices, chocolate, and tomato based products

5) avoiding large meals. Eat 5 small meals in a day.

6) wait three hours after the meal before you sleep.

7) elevate head end of the bed by 8 inches.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have had EKG and bloodwork. Cholesterol is 175. No fever at all. Been hanging around about a month. Ok to travel to coast Saturday? Docs say ok. But throat and chest hurt.
How severe are symptoms (hurting of throat and chest), Brian?
Is there any specific point of tenderness on chest or heartburn?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Chest hurts from throat down to about 2 inches below Adam's apple. That general area. Hurts for a while, then backs off for a while. Heat seems to aggravate it. Is that a symptom of bronchitis.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
And no heartburn.
Thanks Brain.

This can be due to bronchitis. You may travel to coast. This is not likely to be serious. Your doctor may also consider a possibility of reflux laryngitis. Following investigations may be able to confirm it;

1) Barium esophagography

2) Ambulatory 24-hour pharyngoesophageal pH monitoring

3) A biopsy of the larynx which may show laryngitis.

Following measures are helpful:

1) Small 5-6 meals a day.

2) Last meal should be eaten 3 hours before lying down.

3) Avoid; fried or fatty foods, chocolate, peppermint, alcohol, coffee, carbonated beverages, citrus fruits or juices, tomato sauce, ketchup, mustard, vinegar.

4) Eat slowly so air is not swallowed.

5) Swallowing therapy by a speech-language pathologist.

6) Lose weight if obese or overweight.

7) Elevate the head of the bed by 6 inches.

8) Avoid tight clothing.

Please see the resource;

http://www.medicinenet.com/reflux_laryngitis/article.htm

An associated anxiety may be occasionally the concomitant cause.

It is privilege assisting you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Would reflux cause the sore chest and throat?and coughing? Just curious. It's bad enough at times that. I have to take hycodan cough syrup they prescribed.

Yes Brian. Reflux can many times won't have heartburn and just sore chest and throat and coughing. Please read this authentic resource; under heading

Atypical extraesophageal symptoms

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/176595-clinical#showall

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the info. So dosent sound serious, and I will be ok to travel

Yes Brian. It is not likely to be serious. You are OK to travel.