Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Im a little concerned about something on my skin that popped

Customer Question

I'm a little concerned about something on my skin that popped up about two days ago. At first glance it looked like a bruise, but I haven't hurt that area or anything. It feels slightly rough, and when I press down it doesn't fade, but it hurts.. like stings almost. It's pinkish, red. I'm not sure what I should be putting on it.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--it would help greatly if you could post a photo on this page. If not, where exactly is this and is it raised at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'm sorry I couldn't take a very good picture - but it's the reddish looking area. It's a little bumpy on the area, but aside from that it isn't raised, it just feels like sandpaper.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
That's good enough. I take it you've never had anything like this before? Any symptoms like fever, joint pain?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I have not had any thing pop up like that, and I do not have a fever or joint pain.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK This could be what's called the herald patch of pityriasis rosea which is a condition where you may break out in a diffuse rash later on. It's nothing serious and does go away with time and some antihistamines. It could also be what's called inflammatory eczema. If you did get a fever and joint pain I might consider Lyme disease, even if you aren't aware of having been bitten by a tick. Hard to give you just one diagnosis here, but for now you can try some cortisone cream and either benadryl or Claritin. If it persists more than a few days or you do get other symptoms like what I mentioned, you should have a doctor take a look at it.