Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

my son has seen a doctor and they did blood work and told him

Customer Question

my son has seen a doctor and they did blood work and told him his bilirubin level was high at 3.25 , they have referred him to a specialist , but he doesn't see the specialist until Wednesday . is this serious and what causes this ?
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 3 years ago.

Anthony Bray, MD : Hello!
Anthony Bray, MD : bilirubin being high may come from a couple of very different types if sources ....
Anthony Bray, MD : it more commonly may relate to obstruction or sluggish elimination if bike from the liver down through the bile ducts and through the pancreas to the small intestine....
Anthony Bray, MD : bilirubin is also related to the breakdown of red blood cells( hemoglobin)
Customer :

is the more common one you first mentioned treatable and if so how?

Anthony Bray, MD : so rarely a high rate of red cells being broke down ( hemolytic anemia)
Anthony Bray, MD : Ok well there are a range of problems with regard to liver disease that would be potential cause....
Anthony Bray, MD : the finding for one may be self-correcting and improve over time without intervention ....
Anthony Bray, MD : he could have one of several possible heriditary conditions>>> Gilbert's syndrome would be a poisiibke cause that would fit with your description of the high bilirubin but no report of general elevated liver enzymes....
Anthony Bray, MD : In Gilbert's this is not a serious condition... It would be periodically monitored....
Anthony Bray, MD : there are possible obstruction points that could cause this such as a gallstone in the duct system for example. This would be unusual for a young boy... It would be treatable...
Anthony Bray, MD : So getting answers will be done in steps in your situation.....further studies to evaluate the possible cause need to be done ....
Anthony Bray, MD : I would suspect that he has something that may need to be monitored periodically and hopefully will not be serious ( there are a mix of grades of seriousness of the seriousness depending on cause....)
Anthony Bray, MD : I hope this is helpful. Please feel welcome to update me as more information is collected in his case. More specific information with regard to expectations can be provided once we have more details...
Anthony Bray, MD : the diagnosis of cause would be very relevant here....
Anthony Bray, MD : Let me know if you have further information, questions or discussion. Thank you and best regards,
Anthony Bray, MD : Anthony Bray MD