Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I have chronic back and neck issuses with an herniated disc

I have chronic back and neck issuses with an herniated disc between c5-c6? i have had numbness in the fingers intermitantly for many years and have been managing by seeing a chiropractor and stretching and exercizing for years. I have been experiencing moderate to severe neck pain for the past 3 weeks that was not responding and my chiropractor sent me to my MD. I was given a solumedrol injection and a 6 day dose pack and pain meds and then saw an orthopedic surgeon last Thursday and have a cervical fusion surgery scheduled in 5 weeks. Since then although the pain is less, I now have numbness across the left side of my chest along the collarbone with it sometimes going down the arm and at times into my chin. Should this be something that I should go back into the ortho's office now or can it wait until I see him for the pre-op visit?
Hi--what medical conditions do you have? Are these completely new symptoms and how long do they last?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The numbness across chest is new. I have had back pain and neck pain with finger numbness for many years. Only other medical issues is high blood pressure for which I'm taking amlodipine 5 mg for the last 4 months.
But you mentioned this going into your chin? And the chest numbness and the chin part--how long do those last?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The chin numbness comes and goes. The area across the collarbone is constantly numb.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The numbness across collarbone is constant but the chin is intermittent
OK--part of what you're describing would not be related to what's going on in your neck. The chest part could be from either a disk problem in your thoracic spine or perhaps a compressed intercostal nerve where the ribs meet the spine. The part that really bothers me is the radiation into your chin. I'd have to consider this cardiac until proved otherwise so you need to see your regular doctor as soon as possible for a full cardiac workup including an EKG, echocardiogram and a stress test. Your heart has to be evaluated fully before you undergo the cervical fusion.