Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

Dr. Bray, I see that your replied to my question, but there

Dr. Bray,
I see that your replied to my question, but there must be a system error as I am not able to view your response.
Respectfully

Anthony Bray, MD : Hello again,
Anthony Bray, MD : ok I will convert the answer to Q and A format. That usually works....
Anthony Bray, MD : Also I was curious what your WBC counts were?? ( if you know.... Oh if you don't ) are you on Nupogen?
Anthony Bray, MD : Let me know if you have further questions! Best Regards,
Anthony Bray, MD : Anthony Bray MD
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for taking my question Dr. Bray! Smile

My current WBC is 2.6 with neutrophils at .80. I am not currently taking either Neupogen or Neulasta.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Good afternoon Dr. Bray,

You mentioned in your previous response that plain yogurt would be OK such as Fage or Chobani vs. Activia. Are there any symptoms to watch for in the unlikely event that the yogurt causes some immune system problems?

Hello!

No I would not anticipate that yogurt or a probiotic would be a problem with your immune system at all. Let's compare it to the low WBC' being compared to say the loins keeping things in balance on the safari. The yogurt or probiotic would be akin to releasing white bunny rabbits to eat the grass. The bunnies might compete for food vs bigger heavier and potentially nastier animals. That is kind of like the picture with the probiotic vs our natural bacterial flora always present. The bacteria present in yogurt ( mainly Lactobacillus species) or Bifidus regularis are less potentially harmful than E. coli >> which is the predominate colon bacterium. E. coli is also most common cause of UTI's and frequent pathogen in other ways.....

So you are wise to watch IN GENERAL for signs of infection.... UTI symptoms--- GI infections ( gastroenteritis, colitis, diverticulitis, cholecystitis as examples>>> so watch for abdominal pain, nausea, fever, diarrhea as more common symptoms )

I would regard the yogurt or probiotic as part of the solution and not part of the problem however!

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have further questions! I will be happy to get back with you ! Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD