Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I have black stool after a weekend of over indulging in alcohol.

Customer Question

I have black stool after a weekend of over indulging in alcohol. I have been diagnosed with gastritis some months back. Should I go see a Doctor? I also dont feel to well, with a gas bubble in my back. I took my Zantac which helps but I still don't feel like I can eat.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi. You need to have this evaluated just as soon as possible--in the Emergency room is necessary. The black stool indicates an upper gastrointestinal hemorrhage, most likely from a bleeding peptic ulcer and the bleeding could be severe enough to be life threatening for you. You may be feeling bad from extreme anemia from the blood loss so please get to a doctor right away. You need an emergency upper endoscopy to evaluate where the bleeding is coming from and to make sure it's stopped