Chris C.
Chris C., Nurse
Experience:  Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.

Hello. My partner thinks he is drinking too much water and

Hello. My partner thinks he is drinking too much water and depleting his electrolytes because he has been feeling skipped beats after a hard workout. He has been worked up by a cardiologist with EKG and Echo and the cardio doc said the skipped beats can be "normal".

My question is what can he drink/eat after a workout to rebalance his electrolytes instead of Gatoraide which is full of sugar.
Also,how do you know you are drinking enough water? We learned in school to divide the weight by 2.....
Category: Health
Expert:  Chris C. replied 10 months ago.

medtech254 :

Hello! I will be assisting you today. First, skipped beats after exercise can be normal and would not be associated with excessive water consumption.

medtech254 :

It is extremely difficult to drink too much water (water intoxication) without another underlying condition such as a mental issue and a few other diseases. This is VERY rare though.

medtech254 :

The body controls the amount of water and if it is almost impossible unless you are trying to intentionally to overload the system.

medtech254 :

With strenuous exercise it is possible to leach out the electrolytes and you are correct in that Gatorade and the similar products do contain a large amount of sugar.

medtech254 :

I run on a regular basis and I use a home recipe since I too do not want to consume excessive sugars in order to replenish electrolytes (salts basically).

medtech254 :

I have a few I use depending on my mood that day. Here they are:

medtech254 :

This one is tart and sweet.

medtech254 :

• 1/4 cup of lemon juice

• 1/4 cup of lime juice

• 1 teaspoon of salt

• 1 whole squeezed orange (or one frozen can of orange juice)

• 1 liter of water

medtech254 :

This one is sweet but not from sugar:

medtech254 :

• 2 cups of coconut milk

• 1 teaspoon of salt

• 1 teaspoon of Stevia (natural sweetener) or honey

• 1 liter of water

medtech254 :

Lots of good potassium in this one:

medtech254 :

• 2 bananas

• 3 cups of coconut milk or 2 cups of strawberries

• 1 cup of water and ice

• 1 teaspoon of salt

• Juice of 1/2 of a lemon

medtech254 :

I use this one when I'm in a hurry and I really like it:

medtech254 :

• 1 bottle or can of V8 vegetable juice (any flavor)

• 1 cup of water

• 1 cup of orange juice

medtech254 :

All of these will replenish the electrolytes without adding unnecessary sugar, preservatives, artificial colors, etc. Some contain natural sugars but these are easily utilized by the body instead of the commercially produced, refined, and modified sugars.

Customer:

VERY DIFFICULT TO READ

Customer:

hi..Thanks. When you say intense you mean a marathon? He does an upper extremity ergonometer(armbike) for 30-40 mins so how would he leach electrolytes?

Customer:

Does a COMPLETE METABOLIC PANEL measure electrolytes or what is the test for this?

Customer:

What are the names of the electrolytes?

Customer:

Water intoxication is very difficult to accomplish?

Customer:

Why do people have skipped beats after a workout?Thanks so much!

medtech254 :

Yes a CMP will test for sodium, potassium, and chloride levels (electrolytes). Any leaching depends on the amount of sweat produced which will vary greatly with the length of time the exercise is done and how much resistance is set on the exercise, the fitness of the person to begin with, the temp in the room, the elevation you are located in, etc. So this is to say that someone that is overweight and rarely exercises in a hot room at high elevation will perspire more than a thin person that regularly exercises under the same conditions. So the overweight person would leach out more electrolytes. The CMP will determine exactly what the electrolyte levels are. Water intoxication is very difficult to accomplish in most people except those that crave water for other reasons especially mental disorders.

medtech254 :

Palpitations are extremely common. Different people experience palpitations in different ways. You might feel as though your heart is fluttering, throbbing, flip-flopping, or pounding, or that it has skipped a beat.

medtech254 :

Exercise and physical activity can generate palpitations, as can anxiety or stress.

medtech254 :

The feeling of a skipped heart beat can mean several different things and it is not always an actual skipped beat.

medtech254 :

Skipped heart beats are not felt, however pauses in the hearts rhythm will cause the beat after the pause to be greater in intensity. This causes the feeling of your heart jumping which is perceived as a skipped beat. This feeling can come during strenuous exercise and is a normal sensation in most people as verified with the EKG.

Customer:

Thanks so much....Lastly ,can blood pressure meds cause one to have skipped beats?

Customer:

My partner doesn't feel a palpitation but when he lies down sometimes he "hears" his heartbeat and checks his pulse and it's skipping. He is 60 y/o and obese paraplegic. What could this be? Sometimes his diastolic goes down to 40.

medtech254 :

Some medications can cause this feeling. I assume he is taking metoprolol which can cause a slow heart rate as this is one of the most commonly used medications. Likely he also takes hctz and lisinopril. The metoprolol is a beta blocker and works by slowing the heart rate which makes the beats more productive although just as in exercise some beats may be stronger than others (which feels like skipped beats).

medtech254 :

Most people have an irregular heart rate at some point in their life and it is normally of no consequence.

Customer:

hi I cant read. can you put on the other format?Thanks!

Customer:

he takes norvasc,clonodine and avapro,

Customer:

Is it normal to "hear" your heatbeat when you lie down?

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
I have switched the format so it is easier to read.

It is not uncommon to hear the heartbeat in the ears and this is normally of little concern.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thanks! The 3 meds he is on.....do any of these cause a skipping of a beat?

Also, is calcium an electrolyte? I thought sodium and chloride were the same?

Do some people experience an irregular pulse for a few weeks then it returns to normal? Could it be sick sinus syndrome?

Chemically, electrolytes are substances that become ions in solution and acquire the capacity to conduct electricity.(Sodium, Potassium, Chloride, and Bicarbonate)

Chloride is the major anion (negatively charged ion) found in the fluid outside of cells and in the blood. An anion is the negatively charged part of certain substances such as table salt (sodium chloride or NaCl) when dissolved in liquid.

Sodium is the major positive ion (cation) in fluid outside of cells. Sodium regulates the total amount of water in the body and the transmission of sodium into and out of individual cells also plays a role in critical body functions.

Norvasc (amlodipine) belongs to a group of medicines known as calcium-channel blockers (calcium antagonists). Calcium-channel blockers lower blood pressure by relaxing the blood vessel walls and would not likely cause skipped beats.

Clonidine lowers blood pressure by decreasing the levels of certain chemicals in your blood. This allows your blood vessels to relax and your heart to beat more slowly and easily. This can cause the feeling of a skipped beat as we talked about above with the pause and then a strong beat.

Avapro is an angiotensin II receptor blocker (ARB). It works by relaxing blood vessels. This helps to lower blood pressure.

With the combination of the three they can cause a pause in the beat so you feel the next beat stronger than normal and this is recognized as a "skipped beat" This is not unusual and should not be of concern.

People can have an irregular heart rate at times and it return to normal without any ill effects. With the medications being taken regular doctor visits are important to monitor blood pressure, heart rate, etc but just the usual follow-up schedule.
Chris C., Nurse
Experience: Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.