Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

ENT dr....about hr ago, put thumb in itchy R ear, now ear hurts

ENT dr....about hr ago, put thumb in itchy R ear, now ear hurts a tiny bit. Im concerned that it still hurts a little. It feels a bit like if i had water in my ear, like fullness. No discharge, or bleeding. Cant see anything w flashlight like a scratch. How can i soothe it? I dont think my thumb went in very far.
Hi--was there a reason you put your thumb in your ear? Does it hurt inside the canal?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had an itch. Im not sure if the pain is in the canal or not. The ear feels full and have a slight pain.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If the pain is in canal is that potentially serious?

OK. Certainly doesn't sound like anything serious, Shelly. I suggest you take either some over the counter cortisone cream or Caladryl liquid and gently apply a thin layer inside the canal with a Q-Tip three times a day. Only if the pain worsens or you start to get drainage from the ear canal would you need to have a doctor take a look at it. You probably just have a little eczema in there and you may have scratched it just a bit
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think the feeling of fullness is more annoying than the slight pain. I seem to be turning towards that ear a bit,but i feel like my hearing is ok. I dont think my thumb went all the way down. I was just concerned since i have nails maybe i injured inside.

Still nothing serious here--the fullness may be just from a little swelling of the canal. Try what I suggested and if it doesn't clear it up in a day or two have a doctor look at the ear.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok thanks. I have 1percent hydrocortisone ointment on hand.

That would be fine. Let me know how it goes and remember to rate my service to you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will, thank you.

My pleasure--any time