Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

Hello. My name isXXXXX question pertains to that of skin

Customer Question

Hello. My name isXXXXX question pertains to that of skin cancer. I have had a freckle/ mole right under my belly button for years. and its always been on the dark side i guess. but today I noticed its gotten just a little bigger. and maybe a little darker. I've checked the abcde skin caner signs and I noticed it seems symmetrical, and to have a smooth border,and its almost the same color but if you look closely its brown around the edge and dark browns(almost black) in the center. but you have to look closely to notice the different color. it looks very close to the same color. and its smaller than a pencil eraser. whats also concerning me is that its not in an area that gets sun exposure. I'm mainly coming to this site to get some peace of mind. I plan to see a doc when I get paid this Thurs but I was hoping you could tell me if this is something I should be concerned about. Or if it is if there is hope of being cured and living normally.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--I understand your concern here. When you say it's gotten bigger--how much bigger and are you saying you only recently noticed that part?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your reply. Yes I have just noticed it recently. As a matter of fact I noticed it this morning. And i am not a good judge of measurements but I would say it use to be as small as the head of a small nail. now its smaller than the tip of a pencil eraser.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK Sarah. Benign moles can get larger with time and that alone doesn't mean that it's changed into a melanoma. Have a doctor take a look at this and see if he thinks you need an excisional biopsy but from what you've told me this doesn't sound at all cancerous. The color change also doesn't concern me with the way you've described it. Just so you'll know, most melanomas are completely curable just with a wide excision