Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

Took a very bad fall this past friday evening...

Took a very bad fall this past friday evening... just not quite 3 mos after one that landed on top of head parietal area only so 180 degree - HAVE POTS, EDS, HASHIMOTO`S (FREE T3 `S NOW 2.? RANGE THO TSH 1.5, ALSO HAVE Srogrens and now bladdder frequency urgency but.....NO FRACTURE LAST TIMEbut a compression T9 fracture now considered pretty much healed much as ever will be. DO HAPPEN TO KNOW that no!! CT will pick up a subdural hematoma in 1st week of brain injury. TOOK 10 STITCHES DEEP GASH RIGHT UPPER FOREHEAD RIGHT AT HAIRLINE...smashed my whole face into a metal bbq (antoher mini-blackout ...one min up next min omg no!!! and theN immediate again no unconsciousness either time...MEDICS CAME IN EMERG 6 HRS..ct xray, agonizing saline wound clean freezing the suture........QUESTION IS 2 FULL DAYS LATER WHOLE TOP OF SKULL IS NUMB.......COMPARED TO FEELING TEMPLE And back of head areas...........why pls? this emerg doc WOULD NOT SPEAK OR ANSWER QUESTIONS AT ALL ...KNOW THEY ARE BUY BUT i told him top of head was numb- no reply PLS HELP!

also why are NONE OF YOU willing to answer my question already paid for this and just keep reading that its been onto another expert! what i really think is either ITS LABOR DAY long weekend and nobody really cares that I AM WORRYING A POSSIBLE SUBDURAL HEMATOMA...or that freezing never came out of me due to E.D.S. collagen defect issues WITH anesthetic.......or i just did not pay enough money for it to be worth anyone`s while....actually i paid more than it first said to.AND NOW ANOTHER $10...(tracking every one of your names and some of you have way more than enuff credentials to attempt an answer to question) ....PLS STOP PASSING ME ALONG NOW THANK YOU! Patty (its long weekend here too I CANNOT GET TO A DOCTOR) did i mention the emerg doc mentioned NOTHING about having a frozen skull feeling as part of a head injury??? PLS HONOR the contracts you have made with administrator OWNERS here WHO you and i both KNOW ARE NOT ON DUTY TO HELP ME WITH THIS ISSUE you wont resolve...hmmnnn

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name isXXXXX and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

I'm sorry to hear abut this

Dr Brims :

How big was the wound?

Dr Brims :

about*

Customer:

3" length actual laceration 1/4-not maybe 1/2" wide at widest

Customer:

ok? r u there

Dr Brims :

yes

Customer:

meant on 1st comment THE FIRST FALL FLIPPED 180 DEG. SO FEET IN AIR

Customer:

2 CM COMPRESSION FRAC T9

Dr Brims :

Okay, and how big is the area of numbness?

Customer:

also doubt any hashis or srogren as any bearing but so quickly happened just dunno whether the freezing COULD BE STAYING ME too long E.D.S folk have problems with anesthetic OR the actual wound itself

Customer:

forehead i feel

Dr Brims :

Is the cut on the forehead?

Customer:

about an inch back then ntothing until to back of top head nothing

Customer:

yes it is

Customer:

as stated in question..i think?

Dr Brims :

Okay, there is a chance that a peripheral nerve was cut and that may be the cause of the numbness

Customer:

i know that peripheral is sort of like do you mean a scalp on of rather meaning just OUTLYING NERVE not deep

Dr Brims :

It means it is not a deep nerve

Customer:

it was a deep gash!!

Dr Brims :

Okay, I am not sure what you are asking in your last response

Customer:

not to the bone medics did say yes its pretty a good gash

Customer:

i'm telling you how DEEP the gash is sir

Dr Brims :

Okay, I understand how deep it is

Customer:

to marry up with chance of perpheral nerve cut

Dr Brims :

How deep the gash is does not change the fact that the likely cause of the numbness is a peripheral nerve cut/ damage

Customer:

isnt that what counts with a peripheral nerve being severed

Customer:

so if it was that.......will i ever feel again?

Customer:

omg

Dr Brims :

There are nerves all over your scalp, if you have numbness after a cut then it is likely a peripheral nerve cut, and it will likely take time for the full sensation to return, it may take 6 months - 1 year

Customer:

WE TRIED TO TELL EMERG DOC I COULD NOT FEEL ANYTHING...he would not talk at all! and never would answer even one question...this is not how to be treated in emergy yes/no?

Dr Brims :

No, it is not the way to be treated

Customer:

can i just mention is this not similar to my 1/2 tongue being TOTALLY NUMBED for not quite a year after a dental needle too large a guage...and it IS THAT POSSIBLE

Customer:

THAT DOC CAUSE IT NOT THAT I'M DUMB ENUFF TO SUE A HOSPITAL

Dr Brims :

It may be similar, and yes it is possible

Customer:

KK PLS where would he insert that needle to freeze i was IN SO MUCH AGONY just screaming from saline irrigation wound

Customer:

and he i did not feel any needle going into me at all and he didnt say i'll be stitching now

Dr Brims :

I cannot answer that, that is a separate question, for a dentist, I am a doctor, to discuss that question you would need to open a new question, the website requires a new question if you are asking about your tongue, if you are asking about the laceration I am happy to answer any question you would like

Customer:

no sir

Customer:

this emerg doc whole stmt refers to two nites ago head gash

Customer:

so pls re-read question in context of head wound

Dr Brims :

Your question was why do you have numbness since you sustained the wound, correct?

Customer:

no where would his needle have been inserted to freeze me RIGHT INTO WOUND or where.... and shouldn't i have FELT that piercing needle??? he did not announce he was about to stitch

Dr Brims :

It would have been inserted around the wound and into the wound

Customer:

this is my attempt to understand IF THERE MAY BE a diff. dx ON WHY problem happened tho of course IF HE NEVER TALKED NOR announced anything he was about to do AND HE DID NOT!! he did not even say i need to start clean wound NOW ..GAWD!!

Dr Brims :

ok

Customer:

so a no talking doc. easily too busy in emergy any chance and no nurse assisting him...I'D SAY BIG CHANCE if he didnt care what size gauge needle he used he coulda done it TO... me...again i ask.....................................WOULD I NOT FEEL A NEEDLE GOING INTO MY HEAD? and should it not hurt?

Dr Brims :

The need going into your head should have been felt and it should hurt , but if you had nerve damage from the laceration then you woud not likely have felt it and it would not likely hurt

Customer:

there we have it

Customer:

so i rule out what it isnt sir to see what it is likely

Customer:

guess we know now of certainty what happened BUT WHY DOES ACTUAL WOUND AREA AND FOREHEAD AND TEMPLES STILL HAVE FEELING

Dr Brims :

The nerve that was cut may not supply the skin in those areas where you still have feeling

Customer:

but sire

Customer:

sir

Customer:

there is a huge chance i banged whole parietal suture area straight into that bbq easily SO COULD that hit have damaged peripheral nerve as well right there i pitched strait fwd as much as i remember so head cut area obviously hit and then then banged up face

Dr Brims :

Yes, I am here

Dr Brims :

The hit could have damaged the peripheral nerve as well

Customer:

so there ARE TONS but any chance at all!!!??? I HURT that never banging into first with head.. i am doing a slow forming subdural AND is there any chance that nerve NEVER comes back? AND REALLY should i not have the ct redone (as i understand it subdural hemorrage NEVER! seen 1st week after injury)

Dr Brims :

There is a chance the nerve will never come back, but that is unlikely

Customer:

how deeply affected into brain skin or deeper is this damage in cm or mm pls i.e. WOULD I FEEL HEADACHE TOP OF HEAD STILL

Dr Brims :

You may still feel a headache with any scalp laceration

Customer:

may doesnt quite make it for me sir (aha sorta)

Customer:

no sir

Dr Brims :

I cannot tell you if it should have been repeated, I never examined you when it happened

Customer:

no with laceration any headache in future in other words how deep will this numbness extend a

Customer:

repeated what?

Dr Brims :

How deep will what numbness extend? I am sorry, I don't understand your last question

Customer:

i said nothing about repeating i am asking how deep this non-feeling numbness goes inside OR ONLY on top of skull

Dr Brims :

I cannot tell you if the CT scan should have been repeated, I never examined you when it happened

Dr Brims :

You are asking me how deep the numbness goes?

Customer:

simpler all skull sensation is gone ANYTHING DEEPER potentially involved for numbness OH DEAR!! you know?

Dr Brims :

Nothing deeper should be affected

Customer:

no sir i read out out of mayo, nih, and merck that A SUBDURAL HEMATOMA will NEVER been seen on CT within 1st wk of injury would i even feel headache up IN THAT PART OF HEAD

Dr Brims :

A Subdural hematoma can be seen within 1 week of injury by a CT scan

Customer:

u do not know that CT'S cannot pick up a subdural (very slow bleeding!) hemorrage within 1st week?

Customer:

not same day right?

Dr Brims :

If there is active bleeding the CT scan will pick it up, if it is slow bleeding it may not detect it

Customer:

yes my whole point

Dr Brims :

Okay, what is the question that you would like me to answer that I have not answered already? We have been chatting for over an hour now, I want to make sure I answer your questions before exiting the chat session

Customer:

so it should be CT'ed again within 2-3 wks i'd say AND i did ask about symptoms re perpheral nerve cut i think we've established that's likely what happend with NUMBSKULL (funny but not so really for me) ...so headache BEING a symptom of bleeding sometimes I STILL WOULD FEEL HEADACHES YES NO MAYBE SO........

Customer:

sir I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR ALL AFTERNOON FOR ANYONE TO TAKE THIS QUESTION!!!

Customer:

ABOUT 4-5 HRS

Dr Brims :

A subdural hematoma should cause dizziness, and may cause drowsiness, not just a headache

Customer:

U SEE why i write then AS I HAVE BOTH

Customer:

but 2 nites ago their ct showed nothing

Customer:

and slight nausea but no vomiting

Customer:

i rather dont!! think i'm still in shock

Dr Brims :

Okay, did I answer your question?

Customer:

any other POSSIBLE causes here i.e. TOO LARGE GUAGE needle being used

Customer:

ssorry wrong

Dr Brims :

The size of the needle is not likely the cause of the nerve damage

Customer:

MY HEAD HITTING THAT METAL BBQ COULD NOT HAVE CAUSED THE PERIPHERAL NERVE DAMAGE ITSELF????

Customer:

(i did say sorry wrong)

Dr Brims :

I said above that hitting your head could have caused it, but that is not as likely to be the cause as a cut

Customer:

so THE HEAD BANG itself it coulda been numb all along ,,ie, SO MANY NERVES MUST!! REFER PAIN TO OSTENSIBLY DIFFERING AREAS?

Dr Brims :

The head bang could have caused the nerve damage

Customer:

then potentially we have WAY more nerves damaged yes and would not a neurologist be able to do some sort of function test sir?

Customer:

plus my tongue will not enunciate hardly at all...

Dr Brims :

A neurologist would be able to examine you and help

Customer:

and also finally if yo udont mine ...MALE NURSE told us both 10 days ...doc said 7 days sutures out and i believe it was only 7 now having memory issues sorry IN YOUR KNOWLEDGEABLE opinion who is correct DARN THESE HURRY HURRY GET OUTTA HERE PLACE understanding why of course BUT MY DOC IS ON FOR ANOTHER WEEK ...gawd it gets hard

Dr Brims :

The doctor is correct, it is 7 days

Dr Brims :

If you have no other questions on this topic, please click a rating button to end this chat session

Customer:

ty sir! and would an inside cut upper lip affect my speech at ALL as tongue doesnt need a lip to talk correctly

Dr Brims :

It may affect you speech

Dr Brims :

You're welcome

Customer:

all these mays and mights........of lord i am SO HURT MY WHOLE FACE GOT BANGED NOISE EYES ALL EYEBROWN NOSE BRIDGE ALL ABRASIONS OR NICKED whole face took slam other than lip

Customer:

im in tears now sir sorry to keep asking but whole face slam too cannot open right jaw (whole right side is what took hit!!) w/o major pain too

Dr Brims :

I'm sorry to hear about the pain you are in

Dr Brims :

What other question can I answer on this?

Customer:

they didnt check me over near good enuff in emerg nothing on body at all

Customer:

how long is t6his 7 stitch deep lacertation gonna keep stabbing me

Customer:

stings bad hard stabs right now wont stop

Customer:

ow ow ow

Dr Brims :

It may take 2 months , it is hard to predict

Customer:

am i allowed to ice within a thicker towel to stop pain

Customer:

gently set on stitched up laceration TWO TYLENOL XTRA STRENGTHS CANT TOUCH PAIN

Dr Brims :

You can place ice on it

Customer:

oh thank you thank you !! how long for at a time CAN IT STAY ON PLS............YOU SAVED me from this intermittent god awful pain NUMB

Dr Brims :

An ice pack may stay on for 15 minutes at a time

Customer:

numb DOESNT HURT (sorta smile) but jeez this is BAD AND that doctor DID tell us after stitching it wouldnt hurt DO YOU THINK he's getting jollies from treating people this

Dr Brims :

I cannot tell you how another doctor feels

Customer:

thanks ty ty ty

Dr Brims :

You're welcome
If you have no other questions would you mind clicking a rating button

Customer:

i'm done and thank you for patience kind sir

Dr Brims :

You're welcome

Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience: U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience