Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

Hi. I hope you can help me.

Customer Question

Hi. I hope you can help me. On my tongue on each side and on top I have white patches that are very painful and is swollen. I have some lip swelling inside on just the middle. my hands have someone a little bit. Enough to take my rings off and now on my hands and a little bit on my feet I have what appears to be hives or blisters. I'm already disabled and an appeal was Social Security so I'm not a healthy person anyway. Acid reflux, hiatal hernia, chronic gastritis, enlarged liver, IBS, 2 fuse vertebrae lumbar, several problems with my knees. I need surgery on my knees but I ran out of Family Medical Leave and had to resign.I have no health insurance now and the last time I went to the ER they did nothing. I'm swelling above my knees in the back pretty badly. At one point it got up close to my groin area. They wouldn't look. The doctor just said it was my weight and poke at it a few times. I know I'm overweight but that is squishy not hard as a rock and I know my body. But it seemed after I said no health insurance they didn't care. I have also told them and show them I'm getting a discoloring on one of my legs. It was reddish brown with a sore in the middle. It has gone down a lot but you can still see it. I have redness on my arms and on one of my cheek that just appeared. I stayed out of the Sun so it can't be that. So for 6 months or so I've been dealing with the swelling of behind my knees and the discolorations but this other stuff just happened today with my tongue, possibly hivesand the whiteness on my tongue which is painful. I had to be careful eating to avoid biting my tongue because it is swollen both ways. I have the right the day taken 3 doses off 2 benadryl that hasn't seemed to help. I have had a stroke or TIA 2 years ago. My primary diagnosis for Social Security is excessive stress due to extreme Multi trauma PTSD and your phone via
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 1 year ago.

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to the site! My name isXXXXX and I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

I'm sorry to hear about this

Dr Brims :

Just to clarify, you are concerned about the swelling on your tongue, correct?

Dr Brims :

Are you there?

Customer :

I am concerned about the swelling of my tongue, the white patches on the sides and top of my tongue and the hives or blisters appearing on my hands and feet. I also do not know why the glands behind my knees are very swollen with skin color change on my left leg and very red left cheek. I also don't know if its somehow related

Dr Brims :

What blood tests have you had?

Customer :

I had complete blood work done this year because I changed doctors. my blood work as always come back fine. I even recently had a HIV test just to rule it out.I have had multiple test on my digestive system and my brain after the stroke and there is no explanation for any of it except for my PTSD and my agoraphobia becoming so bad. I've been told by my doctor, my specialist, my psychiatrist, my therapist and neurologist that's all my gastro problems and diseases which I forgot to say I BS is all related to my PTSD because nothing can be found even though they do see my liver in large egg cetera

Customer :

Etc.

Dr Brims :

What type of doctors have you seen so far?

Customer :

my gastroenterologist also released me because he said there was nothing more they can be done. He said I'm chronic. My basic worried right now at the moment is why my tongue is swollen with white patches and I'm getting blisters are hives on my hands and feet. My tongue is so swollen it is hard to eat because its inside my teeth and I have to make sure I made it over to bite down.

Dr Brims :

The tongue swelling and blisters is likely from an allergic reaction

Dr Brims :

What have you tried since the swelling started?

Customer :

family practice, gastroenterologist, orthopedic for my knees which is another story, neurologist, psychiatrist and therapist.I hope I haven't forgotten someone

Customer :

I thought I'm allergic reaction too but there has been no change in anything to give me one.

Dr Brims :

It could have been something you ate

Customer :

I have taken 2 benadyl every 4 to 6 hours. It has not helped at all. Actually gotten worse and worry my tongue might as well where I can't breathe

Dr Brims :

Then you need to go to an ER, benadryl may not help, you may require steroids

Customer :

have not had anything different to eat then normal.

Dr Brims :

The reaction of hives, blisters and tongue swelling is most likely an allergic reaction, it may have been something in your food, even if it is the same food that you always eat

Customer :

can you not give me any possibilities of what it could be?I would like to know before deciding on the ER because since I don't have health insurance they don't treat me right anymore. I work for the government 12 years and now because I have to go on disability I'm treated horribly if at all.

Dr Brims :

I cannot tell you the exact cause of the allergic reaction, all I can tell you is that this is most likely an allergic reaction and will likely require steroids to treat it

Customer :

one thing I forgot to say that might be important is for about 4 days I have had diarrhea and had to take imodium for it. I don't know if that is tied into what I'm going through now that the diarrhea just stopped yesterday

Dr Brims :

To determine the cause of the allergic reaction you would need allergy testing

Dr Brims :

The diarrhea is not likely related to this

Customer :

if it is allergic reaction can I just keep taking Benadryl till its gone?

Dr Brims :

Benadryl does not work for severe allergic reactions, severe allergic reactions require steroids

Customer :

having agoraphobia I rarely leave the house to be open to anything giving me an allergy and the only food I have eaten lately is food I have been eating on lately. Like frozen chicken nuggets and things like that so there's nothing new. I have had a history of hives with stress because of the ptsd and these are more like blisters but they could be hives

Customer :

what kind of things causes whites areas on your tongue?

Dr Brims :

Okay, tongue swelling is either an allergic reaction or an infection

Dr Brims :

white areas are caused by fungal infections

Customer :

what kind of infection?

Dr Brims :

It could be bacterial, viral or fungal

Customer :

each side of my tongue has white painful patches and there is why this on top of my tongue that hurts also. if that is from an infection then why would I seek something for an allergy

Dr Brims :

I said it may be due to an allergic reaction or an infection

Customer :

I already knew that

Dr Brims :

I'm sorry, I am not sure what you are asking in your last reply, please clarify your last question if you don't mind?

Customer :

I already knew an allergy on attention was possible. I was hoping for some enlightenment on why my tongue is white and maybe an explination. its only been assumed that the hives what I said they could be blisters and I been asked yet what they look like so I can know the difference or anything like that

Customer :

or infection I meant

Dr Brims :

The white area on your tongue may be a candida infection, it may also be a condition called lichen planus

Customer :

and what are those?

Dr Brims :

lichen planus usually appears as purplish, often itchy, flat-topped bumps. In your mouth it forms lacy white patches, sometimes with painful sores

Dr Brims :

It may also cause the blisters on your skin

Dr Brims :

It is caused when your immune system attacks itself

Dr Brims :

Are you there?

Customer :

that's basically a canker sore. and I already looked it up candida.I have decided to do this because I needed to know about why my tongue is white and why I have blisters orhives. I asked that in the first question when pay the money it was all about allergies. You didn't ask about my whiteness on my tongue or what my hives are blisters to look like. It's just one of on you have an allergy. I'm sorry I'm just not satisfied because it doesn't help with what I needed originally which has to do with the whiteness the possible blisters. Where do I go to say I want my money back please and thank you for your time.

Customer :

this site said I could get answers and I don't have any answers. I know as much now as I did before

Dr Brims :

Okay, I will let customer service know that you want a refund

Customer :

thank you. I will let paypal know the same