Chris C.
Chris C., Nurse
Experience:  Nurse with with 10+ yrs. in wellness care, geriatrics, hospice and acute care.
66637759

Hi. I fell onto a rock and banged up my upper shin about 8

Hi. I fell onto a rock and banged up my upper shin about 8 days ago. More precisely, I hurt the area about 4" below the knee adjacent to the bone and not quite into the meaty part of my leg. Now there is a knot in the immediate area of the injury and obvious inflammation of my ankle and foot below the injured area. There is also reddish/purple discoloration of the skin on the heel of the foot and some discoloration even into the three middle toes. There is no pain other than some discomfort I attribute to the swelling. I am able to stay active, but these symptoms don't seem to be going away. Any treatment ideas?

medtech254 :

Do you take any medications or do you have any other medical conditions?

Customer:

Moderately high cholesterol. I take simvastatin for that. And I take hctz which is prescribed by my urologist. I have history of kidney stones. Generally in good health.

medtech254 :

You are not biabetic?

medtech254 :

diabetic

Customer:

No

medtech254 :

Ok, given that the injury was just below the knee and there is swelling as well as radiating symptoms down to to the heal/toes this is of concern. The main problem is since you have the swelling and then discoloration further down the extremity. This indicates a likely infection that is now spreading down the leg.

medtech254 :

It is important that you get into the Dr office to have a standard lab test ran (cbc) to determine if your wbc is elevated which will prove an infection and how bad the infectionis.

medtech254 :

This can easily be treated with oral antibiotics in most cases.

medtech254 :

It is also possible that the swelling is occluding the flow of blood to and from the foot which also needs to be assessed in the office.

Customer:

I see. I'm two hours from medical help which is why I waited this long. So it appears I need to make the drive to town. Thanks for your assistance.

medtech254 :

I understand but in this case you should get checked out. The reason for the discoloration is from poor blood flow and that can be causes by the infection which is causing the swollen area.

medtech254 :

So yes you should see your Dr asap to prevent further damage.

Customer:

Consider it done - I will leave now and give you an excellent rating.

medtech254 :

Thank You and Good Luck to you!