Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Hi. My period is late. I THINK the first day of my last period

Customer Question

Hi. My period is late. I THINK the first day of my last period was July 24. (Or so). I am married and have had sex without protection or birth control. I am not allowed to take birth control because I developed a DVT and PE while on them.

I have not gotten my period, but I've had my usual cramps and migraine like I was on it. Right now, I'm only spotting. I've taken 2 EPT home pregnancy tests, and both were negative.

Help!
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--have your periods always been regular up to now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
They were like clockwork when I was on birth control. Now and then they're a few days off, give or take.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
And do you have any medical conditions?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Migraines, asthma, history of DVT, PE, and ovarian cysts, depression, anxiety...

I take Zoloft, Wellbutrin, clonazepam, Xanax, trazodone, Carleton, symbicort, albuterol, fioricet, and sumatriptan (?) ...some as needed.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Ovarian cysts as in polycystic ovarian syndrome? Have you ever been pregnant before?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, not the syndrome. Never been diagnosed with that. They said it was just a cyst that ruptured a few times.

Never been pregnant before.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK. It's still possible that you're pregnant even if the tests have been negative thusfar. That said, with the spotting and the cramps this could be a threatened miscarriage. It also could just be a hormone flux and one missed period and nothing more than that. You need to see your doctor as soon as possible and get a blood HCG test and a pelvic ultrasound to check things out.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Should I go to the 24 hr clinic here?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
The sooner you see a doctor, the better, yes
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What should I tell him?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Just what you've told me--your period is late but you're spotting and feeling like you're having your period and that the two pregnancy tests have been negative.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok. thank you
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
My pleasure Elyse but please let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
I'll be here