Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

my wife had her gallbladder removed 10 days ago she hasnt

my wife had her gallbladder removed 10 days ago she hasn't been eating much everything is causing acid reflux even water, what can I feed her?
Hi--can you first tell me more about her symptoms?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

feels like gas inside her body, she feels weak. she has not eaten well in 10 days. she can't hold food down.

Is she having any pain and are you saying she's mostly vomiting? Was this a laparoscopic surgery?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

she's has a little pain but not her incisions but she feels like gas in her body I guess she feel a little bloated. she is not eating right we haven't found something that don't give her heart burn.

How have her bowel movements been and again has she been vomiting?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

she's had 3 bowel movements in 10 days. she has not been vomiting she just hasn't been eating. she is diabetic and is in remission of breast cancer. before her operation she saw her doctor and had blood work done and they extracted bone marrow and all test came back negative for cancer so she's cancer free. they then went ahead and removed her gallbladder. I went to store and bought vegetable stock and thin sliced skinless chicken breast and I baked the chicken breast in the vegetable stock and she is eating it. this is her first good meal in 10 days.

OK--just one last question--does her surgeon know about all this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

we used the same surgeon that did the initial removal of the breast cancer and reconstruction. Yes, he does know her medical history.

Sorry, no, I meant does he know she really hasn't been eating well and by the way how's her blood sugar been doing during this time?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

we've been in contact with the doctors medical assistant . We have been trying to find something that she could eat and not get heart burn and her blood is 226.

OK. The reason I've been asking all the questions is because this isn't the normal course after a gall bladder removal. I'm a bit worried that she might have a bile leak or perhaps a partial small bowel obstruction and the surgeon needs to know about this because she needs a ct of the abdomen to check for those. At this point whatever she can eat--what you've given her now or perhaps a bland diet like applesauce, toast, rice and bananas--is fine but she really needs to be seen by the surgeon as soon as possible.