Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

Hi Doctor, I have a large prolapsed hemoriod which I use cream

Customer Question

Hi Doctor, I have a large prolapsed hemoriod which I use cream to move back in after bowel movements in the mornings, it doesnt bother me during the day unless I squat down for a period of time I feel that surgery is the answer however afraid of the recovery period for example will the stiches come apart and cause bleeding, how much pain will I experience? and how long for?. I am thinking as I get older I will not be able to push in back in. Is there a surgery that is safe with less healing time available. Thankyou for your time.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
Hi--have you ever spoken to a doctor about the surgery before now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have seen a specialist over a year ago, had a colonoscopy done, He placed a rubber band near the area at that opportunity however when I woke up from surgery had urge to go to the toilet and it fell off.
Talked briefly about surgery.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 3 years ago.
OK. The surgery for this is fairly simple and safe and it involves actually ligating the top of the vein and then cutting out the rest of the vein and suturing the rectal mucosa. Usually there's no problem with bleeding or tearing of the sutures. There is some pain for about a week but that's about it. As far as recovery, maybe about three days at home and then you can resume your normal activities.