Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

My doctor has me on doxycycline for a sinus infection. Ive

My doctor has me on doxycycline for a sinus infection. I've been on it one capsule twice a day for a week. I was in my pool today and my skin immediately started feeling like it eas burning. No matter how much sunscreen I applied it didn't help. I gave up after an hour. My arms and face feel better now 4 hours later, but my hands still burn. Could this be a side effect of the drug?
Hi--absolutely this is a typical reaction to sunlight and the prescription bottle should somewhere have said to avoid sunlight while taking the doxycycline. No real harm done and you can use either Benadryl or Claritin or Zyrtec along with some Caladryl lotion for the hands but you really should protect all your skin areas from the sun until you finish the course of the antibiotic