Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Hi again doctor. I am now very scared as i am becoming convinced

Hi again doctor. I am now very scared as i am becoming convinced that i have cancer. I went to the bathroom again and this time it was pale again. I weighed myself tuesday, i believe i was 168. when i went to the doctor on thursday, i weighed 166. I thought when i had my chiropractor appt. yesterday she told me i was 168/169. I bought a scale today, and it says i weigh 162! Please help. I just started a new career and bought a home and to think i might not be able to enjoy it. Im only 25 and i just cant believe how this can be happening to me.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 12 months ago.
Hi--can I ask for more information please? What's been the problem with your bowel movements and are you saying you're losing weight without being on a weight losing diet?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

I think i talked to you last week. I have been having trouble with my bowel movements. Always seem to come out fine, sink not float but the color is always changing. Yesterday i had two nice movements, nice brown in color. Today, two bowel movements, pale in color. Over the last two weeks its been different stole by stole color wise. I weighed 168 on tuesday, 166 on thursday, i believe yesterday i weighed 168 or 169 and today i bought a scale and i weighed 162. Is it even possible to lose 7 pounds in a day? Im just very convinced now that i have a problem. I saw my primary doc on wednesday cause ive been having a pain in my left rib cage. When he examed all of my upper abdomen i was in no pain, but when he pushed on my rib it hurt alot. He said i had floating rib and now im seeing a chiropractor.

Yes we did talk before, but the reference to Dr Saha through me off. Any new scale's reading can vary considerable from a previous scale and no, you can't lose 7 pounds in one day. Did you discuss the stool color change with your doctor?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Yes, i did. But i hadnt had pale stools like this as of that day. They were always changing from brown, dark brown, light brown, tan. Now i had this. And with this pain, im worried im being miss diagnosed

When you say pale do you mean nearly white?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

It looks whiteish/ yellow. Its crazy, because friday and saturday, my stools were nice dark brown. Its never been like this before.

And your basic diet hasn't changed in that time?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

I had TGI Fridays for lunch yesterday. I dont have breaded foods often anymore cause i cut carbs from my diet and went gluten free. Yesterdays meal was mash potato skins, grilled chicken, fried shrimp, and clam chowder soup

Any problem with pain in your upper right abdomen and before we go any further why exactly do you think you might have cancer?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

No pain at all in my upper right. Just in my left rib, sometimes i can feel it a little just to the right of my left rib cage, or down the side of my left abdomen.

I fear pancreatic cancer cause it says that stools change color when this happens.

OK. But I assume you really don't have much in the way of abdominal pain and you aren't jaundiced--yellow skin and yellow whites of the eyes? When did you last have your liver functions checked with blood work?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

No, no jaundice or yellow of skin. I had liver and pancreas done in August 2012 and March 2013, both times came back normal. Still not convinced.

OK--do you understand how pancreatic cancer could cause pale stools?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Kinda. When i read about it, everyone seems to have a different opinion on what causes it.

Sorry--everybody has a different opinion? And what exactly did you mean by kinda?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

I think it said that pancreatic cancer causes pale stool cause the bile has a block. So that makes it white or pale.

OK--for one thing I think you've been reading too much on this and it's fueled your anxiety. Only when a pancreatic cancer fully blocks the common bile duct and doesn't allow the bile to get into the intestines and so it backs up into the liver and causes jaundice would it cause pale stools and then the stools would be whitish all the time. Like I told you before, irritable bowel syndrome can intermittently cause a change in the digestion and the transit time of the bowel and can occasionally cause pale stools. I see absolutely no reason to suspect that you have pancreatic cancer but tell your doctor about your concerns and get a ct scan of your abdomen which I'm certain will show a normal pancreas. Then you can finally rest easy about this
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

He has told me that he is willing do that, but it would cost money and he says i dont need it. With the pale stool, along with this weight loss im seeing now, i just cant find an explanation. I have cut carbs out of my diet since the first week of June. I use to eat tons and fried foods and bread, but dont anymore. Ive lost 10 pounds. That would be normal too? Cause i worry that could be a sign too.

So basically you've lost about ten pounds in three months?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Yes. And in that frame i had completely cut carbs about 98 percent, minus the occasional hot dog. Everything is grilled chicken, steak, potatoes, corn etc.

That is a perfectly normal and healthy amount of weight to lose over three months with a change to a low carb diet. Seriously here--let me put it this way, if this were me, I wouldn't have any fears at all that I had pancreatic cancer.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

I will talk to my doctor about a CT. I just want to be able to enjoy life again.

I understand Mike and see if you can get the ct just to put your mind fully at rest. Let me know how it goes and remember to rate my service to you
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice