Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice

i broke a bone in my foot (mt5) over 2 months ago. i had a

i broke a bone in my foot (mt5) over 2 months ago. i had a cast for 3 wks. it's still painful and hard to walk. i went back to Dr. and he did not rexray but just gave me an anti inflammatory cream. i am already swimming around 3 times a week and it's helped somewhat but i still feel very limited.
i would like some kind of advise as to how i can function normally and recover w/o pain. my doctor originally said it would take 7 wks.
i don't want to pay for advise that doesn't work or if there isn't some helpful info.

Anthony Bray, MD : Hello!
Anthony Bray, MD : Well I will try to offer helpful observations in your given situation--- I will leave it up to you to decide if my opinion has value to you here!!! :)
Anthony Bray, MD : 5th metatarsal is going to be a relatively weak bone and is a frequent site if fracture .... In my opinion your doctor should have done a follow up X-ray to evaluate how we'll it had healed...
Anthony Bray, MD : it is possible that your ongoing pain and discomfort is related to a non- union of the bone--- this is a failure of a fracture to really heal.... The bones may be connected via scar tissue but the boneyard not be fully healed.... This is at least a risk in your situation that should be ruled out....
Anthony Bray, MD : If such we're the case then you may need the support of a post-op style walking boot ---- such would support the bottom of the foot so firmly that the metatarsals would not be pushed to a bend type stress.....
Anthony Bray, MD : There is nothing wrong with taking an anti- inflammatory med.... These may be helpful to reduce the pain/ inflammation of the foot....
Anthony Bray, MD : the healing fracture would typically form a bony callous around the fracture .... This causes an enlarged calcified bulge along the bone... Callous formation could make you need wider shoes as a possibility... This may be a sore pressure point that may be part if your pain....
Anthony Bray, MD : so I would advise further follow up with an orthopedic specialist to independently evaluate your foot complete with a fresh set if X-rays...
Anthony Bray, MD : I hope that this is helpful for you! I hope that you feel better soon!
Anthony Bray, MD : if you have further questions then let me know and I will be happy to get back with you!
Anthony Bray, MD : Best regards,
Anthony Bray, MD : Anthony Bray MD

as i stated previously, i already went back the orthopedist and he only gave me that anti inflammatory cream. he said that it's unnecesary to do another x-ray. ("what do you need more radiation for?")

Anthony Bray, MD : Well I disagree with that orthopedist. I recommend a second opinion. Fractures do not universally heal. It is customary to X-ray a fracture to follow up on its progress!! I find it incredible that this was not done in your case!

what i understood was that these fractures don't always get casted and therefore, what's the point even if it hasn't yet healed. my question was if you can recommend a way to relieve the pain so i can walk normally and not end up at the end of the day with an aching foot.

Anthony Bray, MD : I recommend that you could opt to see an independent orthopedist or podiatrist to get more thorough evaluation of your healing( healed??) fracture....
Anthony Bray, MD : the 5th metatarsal can vary in healing time more than most fractures due to this being in the foot the circulation is often not as good as it is in other areas....
Anthony Bray, MD : Yes well part of the point is to stabilize a fracture enough to allow it to heal!! This removal of movement along the fracture line would be the first and most important aspect of pain control!!
Anthony Bray, MD : you are right that all of these are not casted --- they are often treated with the sole supported walking boot( prevents motion of fracture line for the most part...)
Anthony Bray, MD : such a support device might be helpful to your case now....
Anthony Bray, MD : use if a tuning fork to apply vibration to the bone in question may be helpful to the MD in the clinical assessment of the foot/ fracture status....exam for callous formation would be helpful... Exam to find if there may be a new pressure point or nerve compression would be helpful to your case....
Anthony Bray, MD : anti-inflammatory mess and pain relievers such as Ultram may be helpful for you but I think it is best for you to have the benefit from a more detailed exam and evaluation of your foot....
Anthony Bray, MD : meant anti-inflammatory mess above...sorry for the typos!
Anthony Bray, MD : Agh... Meds

can you suggest something specific or a brand name that i can request? is this supported walking boot bought in an orthopedic specialty store? thanks.

Anthony Bray, MD : Most ortho offices would carry them>>> yes >> they would be carried by medical supply stores>> the personnel at a medical supply store could help you or an orthopedic office typically would or a podiatry office....I do not have a specific brand in mind...( I' m in family practice and our office carried them several years ago but no longer--- we used them infrequently)

if i want to order it what is it called? maybe you could ask an orthopedist over there?

Anthony Bray, MD : The concept is that they are strapped on for when you get up and move about. The foot is strapped into place... They have a rocker type heel and the sole does not bend or"give" at all ... This provides support enough for a no displaced metatarsal fracture( basically a cracked bone that still lies in good alignment)
Anthony Bray, MD : hang on...I'll check online and see if I can find a specific product for you....
Anthony Bray, MD : Hello again....
Anthony Bray, MD : try going via Google >> search "orthopedic walking boot" in about 2nd option down from list there is an online store... Part of the web address is
Anthony Bray, MD : this site listed exactly what I was talking about... They list on the first page here a short boot that appears to be a good product... Even the small post-op shoe might be enough for you....
Anthony Bray, MD : these products provide good support without the inconveniences if casting....
Anthony Bray, MD : I used the search engine to find the site but I could not view the web site address in detail so hence the directions above make use of both to lead you to right site and product....
Anthony Bray, MD : I hope this is helpful for you ! Let me know if you have further questions. I will be happy to get back with you! I hope that your foot feels better soon! Best regards,
Anthony Bray, MD : Anthony Bray MD
Anthony Bray, MD : correction www.

thanks. i appreciate your help/

You are very welcome. I hope that you heal soon and feel better! If you should have updates or further questions of me on this or other topics feel welcome to reach me via my profile page medical/expert-anthonybraymd/

Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD