Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

Dr. Mazumdar - I previously discussed a paternity issue with

Dr. Mazumdar - I previously discussed a paternity issue with you. 2 encounters were Jan 19 & other man Jan - Feb. EDD 11/12 based on multiple early ultrasounds. In Jan I felt pregnancy symptoms such as fatigue & got strep (hear people had then find out they are pregnant). Would these be unrelated to pregnancy? Also according to US I am almost 29 weeks and I started having preterm contractions after falling down the stairs. Could this be a sign I am further along? Can you access prev question?

I'm Camille, and I’m a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested professional a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online. Unfortunately I do not know when this may be, as the professionals come on line as they are available. You don't have to stand by, you will get an email telling you when you have received a response. If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.

Dr. Mazumdar is not online - do you want to keep waiting, or would you like me to help you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
You can help me.
There is no real association between developing Strep and pregnancy.

You can develop preterm labor really at any time during your pregnancy. This development does NOT mean that you are further along; this can indeed happen at 29 weeks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok. I fell down the stairs at 29 weeks & was having preterm contractions. I was given a shot t stop them. Just afraid I am further along bc of this. Had a partner on Jan 19 (3am once) used condom and plan b 50ish hrs later. Another partner Jan - Feb. stopped bc pills Feb 1. Withdrawal bleed Feb 5-8. Early ultrasounds at 7, 11, 14, 19, 21, 27 weeks all give same due date of Nov 12. Doesn't this info rule out Jan 19 encounter? If multiple ultrasounds line up does this yield accurate EDD?
Based on your history including the use of Plan B following the intercourse in January, your use of the BC pills until February 1, withdrawal bleeding in early February, and the multiple ultrasounds giving a due date of November 12 would all be strong evidence against the partner from January being the father.

Also, at time of delivery, the gestational age of the baby can be established by examination. If you delivery early, the gestational age of the baby will confirm that you were not full term. For example; if you delivered around October 12th, the baby would be expected to be approximately 36 weeks by examination rather than 40 weeks gestation if you delivered around November 12.

At this point - I would not worry about the January partner being the father.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Don't early ultrasounds have (7&11 wk in my case) have a range of accuracy within a week? Wouldn't it be difficult/abnormal for all of my ultrasounds to be off a month? Would it be possible for me to have been pregnant prior to Feb 5 & still have heavy/normal withdrawal bleeding for 4 days?
Yes - the accuracy of ultrasounds is in the 7-10 day range (different studies give different ranges), but MUCH more accurate than 1 month.

While it is possible to have heavy bleeding early in pregnancy - the other facts in your case are VERY strong evidence against you being pregnant at that time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok so can I rule out the Jan 19 encounter since my ultrasounds have sown such strong accuracy across the board?

Also does the fall/early contractions put me at risk for preterm labor?
Yes - I believe you can reliably eliminate the January 19th encounter.

The early contracts may increase your risk of premature labor, however if you did not have severe trauma and the contractions have not continued or increased, this risk may not be that high. Your personal Ob/Gyn would of course be much better able to answer that questions based on your history, current (and past) examination findings.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you! Sorry for all of the questions. jan 19 was a big mistake that I have worried about all pregnancy & although evidence points against him being the father, I continue to worry. Thank you for your help. I will talk to my OB about possible preterm labor.
You're welcome - Relax and enjoy the rest of your pregnancy.
Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had an ultrasound at 30w3d and baby's EFW was 3lb 10oz. Is that really large for the age? Her femur length & BPD measured a few days behind, while head and abdominal circumference measured ahead. Is this a problem?

As you can see from this chart, there is reasonably wide range of fetal weights at this gestational age. The average is about 1.5 kg (3.3 pounds). The 90th percentile (the weight below which 90% of found) is 1.8 kg (3.96 pounds)

This estimated weight is well within the "normal" range - since 10% would actually be larger than this weight.

Just as there are variations from "average" for height and weight in adults, fetal weights and lengths have marked normal variation.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I cannot see the chart you mentioned. Thank you for your reply. I was just worried because 3lb10oz seems very large and prior to this she has measured right in the 50th percentile. She was alb 2oz at 27 weeks so it just seemed like a large jump!