Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  M.B;B.S ; FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialties
28277873

Am I at risk for hemorrhaging? I was diagnosed with pcos 10

Am I at risk for hemorrhaging? I was diagnosed with pcos 10 months ago. I was taken off aldactone for excessive periods and birth control because 5 days later it was thought i had a stroke and it is still unknown. Anyway my first cycle on the pill at 18 resulted in a horrific event. I passed a massive clot at least I think it was. It was about the size of a golf ball, and at least 1.5 to 2 inches in length. After it came out of me blood just started coming. No faster could I get a pad on it would fill up. It to me an hour and 7 pads later to finally get a pad on and get my pants up. It was just a stream of blood pouring out between my legs.When that filled up before I walked out the door, I felt weak and nauseas. I went to bed and woke up with a circle of blood around me I would say the size of a regular size paper plate and covered in blood. I went to bed at 9 that night and woke up around 10am. Was that hemorrhaging? Should I have gone to the hospital? Also I have started my second cycle this month I am asprin, and I have noticed
My period is heavy. Everytime I cleaned myself the toilet tissue was full of dark sticky blood mixed with bright red blood. I have some mild cramping. I every time I change
Pad I am constantly wiping lots of Blood off my inner legs its thick so it doesn't seem like alot but when it takes 5 to 8 feminine wipes to get clean I wonder if its more than meets they eye . Sometimes I have to double up on pads just because if all the thick little clot like things that come out. Is this normal for a cycle, and for a woman with pcos? What should I do? This my first cycle with out birth control pills or aldactone.

Hello and thank you for the question Caitlyn.
Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace an exam by an in-person.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Specialist and i will do my best to help you today.
This is certainly not normal; such degree of continued blood loss should direct any one to go to ER for urgent assessment.

This can be due to hormonal problems, but at the same time we can not rule out an infectious etiology (like pelvic inflammatory disease), cancer, or a systemic cause for such bleeds (like hypothyroidism).

Therefore, i will suggest you to have this examined ASAP by your Obs/gynae doctor, and if the appointment can not be fixed early, go to ER for urgent evaluation discussing all the possibilities i have mentioned; and must explain the severity of blood loss you had.

My goal is to provide you with Excellent Service - if satisfied with the response, Please do not forget to Rate my service as this is the only way i get credit for my time and expertise on your question.

If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So what happened to me all those years ago was a hemmorage? So this cycle I am on now is a trip to the ER necessary? I mean I know because of the full strength asprin that I am on that my blood will be thinner. So the bleeding I am experiencing now is abnormal?

Thank you for the follow up question.

Any bleeding from the body that occurs abnormally (not due to physiological causes) is called haemorrhage---so dont worry about the term 'hemorrhage".

Yes, because the severity of bleeding you have mentioned is HIGH.

Plus when coupled with Aspirin's effect, this may get worse any time.

Better have this evaluated ASAP.

Kindest Regards.

Hello Caitlyn.
I hope you are fine.
Is there anything else i can help you with?
I will be glad to assist.