Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I have a question about surgery. My father had hernia abdominal

I have a question about surgery. My father had hernia abdominal surgery. When he returned for post op check up, he had had a bowel movement or eaten much of anything. Surgeon told him he could put him in hospital and pump his stomach. Dad declined and took some Milk of Magnesia and had a bm. Later that evening he started vomiting and was in pain. Went to ER and was put back in hospital for a week and then went back to surgery for a kinked bowel.Could this kink could have been a result of
Hello and welcome.

I am Dr. Arun and helping you today.

There is a possibility of kink of the bowel caused during the hernia surgery. The only way though to confirm could be the investigations (medical imaging like CT scan or MRI of the abdomen when he was readmitted). The surgeon's operative notes may also mention it.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He did have a CT scan when he was re admitted. Dr. knew it was kinked and told him surgery would only take a few minutes to complete. He then got MRSA after the 2nd surgery.

I am very sorry about it and it is quite a significant complication. A re hospitalization increases risk of the hospital acquired infections (including MRSA infection). Though again it is difficult to conclusively prove it to be hospital acquired but the medical literature do have many evidences of it. Please see these authentic resources for the hospital acquired infections;

It is privilege assisting you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If the bowel being kinked was not caused from the hernia surgery, what could have caused it?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

please see follow up question

A spontaneous kink is known but it is rare. The most likely reason is surgery incidence wise (especially when it happened in the first one to two weeks of surgery.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My father has since be released and is doing ok. He has lost quite a bit of weight. We have since learned the surgeon has a reputation of complications. What would you suggest as far as investigating these complications?

The first step is to ask for the hospital records and get them examined by a medical malpractice lawyer. If there are any lacunae and derailment from the standard of care, treatment protocol found; you may seek compensation.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much for your advice.

You are very welcome.

Good luck.