Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

nagging and constant cough for almost 4 months now - what is

nagging and constant cough for almost 4 months now - what is the best way to get diagnosis for it? Went to doctor and he thought it was a viral infection but it is not viral. doctor suspected allergies but I am not sure where to start. please advise.
Is this cough completely dry? Do you take any medications and did you have a chest x-ray? Are you a smoker?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not a smoker. Did chest x-ray, came out clear. Cough is not completely dry. Whenever I get a viral cough from my kids during season change - it lasts upto 8 to 10 weeks. I usually have itchy throat but not itchy eyes or no sneezing - hence I think it might not be allergies since I do not have itchy eyes or sneezing.

Thank you

Do antihistamines do anything for it? And again do you take any medications? Any problem with heartburn or indigestion?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have not tried antihistamines. Should I try that? I mainly have a itchy throat.

I do not take any medications recently. I do not have any heartburn or indigestion.

OK--two thoughts. Yes this could be allergies and you can try some Claritin or Zyrtec for a week to see if that clears it up. If it does but the cough returns, you need to see an allergist for testing. One other possibility would be silent reflux--no hearburn or indigestion but gastric acid welling up in the throat at night can be aspirated into the lungs and cause a chemical bronchitis. So if the antihistamines don't work, try some Zantac or Pepcid AC. If that works, I'd still have you seen by a gastroenterologist for an upper endoscopy and a screening for H pylori--the so-called ulcer bug that can cause a reflux problem even if you don't have an ulcer
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Those are certainly good options.

FYI, I do have slight runny nose sometimes. Do you think that could also contribute to my itchy throat / cough? But talking with my doctor, he thought slight runny nose may cause itchy throat but not the constant / nagging cough.

Does this give you any additional information or should I pursue two options proposed by you earlier?