Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I just started seeing a new girlfriend. We slept together Thursday

Customer Question

I just started seeing a new girlfriend. We slept together Thursday night, and Friday morning (it's Sat am). The sex was vigorous with a lot of friction in the pubic hair region above my penis. Yesterday I had a mild rash in my pubic hair region, and today it has gotten quite a bit worse, with several VERY small whitehead pimples on the tips of some of the red bumps. No real itching, or burning, or discomfort... just the rash. There's one small pimple on the base of my penis, otherwise nothing on the actual shaft or testicles. I saw one or two a few weeks ago on my upper left thigh (appeared 1.5-2 days after sex), but they were very small and went away in a day. I'm assuming this is likely folliculitis or dermatitis due to the friction, but I'm not sure, and don't know if I should go to a dr. Also, how should I treat it.

Also, about 8 years ago I had a severe rash on my upper left thigh, that blistered badly. After months, I finally got it looked at, and the doc believed it was molluscum contagium (I think - it was so long ago. But he mentioned it was a common rash in children). I took antibiotics I believe and haven't had any issues since. STD tests all negative.

I've slept with only a few girls in the last few years, with no issues or symptoms.

Also, the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th time I slept with this girl (over the course of about 10 days) she was bleeding a little. This hasn't happened in the last 3 weeks.

I'm 31 male. She's 23.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 11 months ago.
Hi--just to be clear here--how soon after the sex did the rash appear? And none of these are blisters--just looking like small pimples?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Probably middle of the day yesterday I noticed some redness. This morning is when it really showed up. And none are blisters. Just look like VERY small pimples.

Again, I saw 2 VERY small pimple like things on my upper left thigh very close to the genitals about a month ago, after the 2nd time we slept together. And these also showed up the 2nd morning after we slept together. Went away by the next day (pretty much gone by the first night).

I also had a very small rash (no pimples) after sex (a week or so ago) left of my genitals, at the crease where my leg reaches my genital area. This also went away in a day or two.

OK--from all you've told me this doesn't sound at all like herpes if that were your concern here. It started up much too quickly and your description does sound like a combination of folliculitis and maybe some tinea corporis--fungal infection a bit like athlete's foot. If it all goes away in a few days, nothing more to worry about. If it continues you could try some Lamisil over the counter cream for a week. If the pimples get worse you may need some oral antibiotics.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I actually wasn't overly concerned with it being herpes - but that's still a relief. But my main concern is if it does get worse, what could it be? And if it's something I need to talk with my girlfriend about?

Plus the fact that it's happening often after we have sex (this time being the worst, but it was very vigorous, and also, I had high school friends in town for 2 days - drinking too much, lowered immune system). So, is there anything I can do to prevent this in the future?

Plus, I'm going to Cabo for my brothers bachelor party next Thursday, and I want to make sure this rash is gone by then (it's slightly above my waist line).

Thanks

Do the two of you use any lubrication or anything like that?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

No. Usually start off unprotected though, then put on condom.

It could be a reaction to the condoms you're using then. I'd suggest switching to a hypoallergenic condom for starts. None of this is contagious so you don't have to be concerned about your girlfriend. For now, try some benadryl and applying either an antihistamine cream or the equivalent of Caladryl. That should clear it up rapidly
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thanks - any other preventative measures beyond trying a different condom to stop it from occurring in the future?

You can try taking a Claritin or Zyrtec or Benadryl and hour before sex but if it's the condom just finding the right brand will be sufficient
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Just to be clear... try some benadryl, and an antihistamine cream now.

If it continues... try lamisil.

If it gets worse... go to the doc for oral antibiotics. (how long should I wait before doing this?)

Switch condoms to hypoallergenic condoms, and try taking claritin, benedryl before sex for prevention.

Yes to the benadryl and antihistamine cream now. Lamisil if it last more than a few more days. If it doesn't clear up entirely in about a week or ten days see a doctor. And correct about the condoms and the claritin or benedryl before sex. Let me know how it goes and please remember to rate my service to you
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Hi Dr. Chip,

Thanks for the help. I put on an antihistamine cream and it cleared up entirely in a few days.

However, I'm wondering about the hypoallergenic condoms and if changing condoms is necessary or at all the cause of the issue since the rash I had was not on my penis at all, but in my pubic hair region (and slightly above) where most of the friction occurred. So I don't really see how the problem could have been the condom.

I haven't been with my girlfriend since we talked as I was out of town.

So, I just want to see if there are any other preventative measures aside from changing condoms (and taking a claritin prior to sex). Maybe using a antibacterial soap consistently? And I'm also wondering if it might be a result of trimming (not shaving) my pubic hair or hers (she shaves, and was growing in slightly on the night this occured).

Again, thanks for the help.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 10 months ago.
Hi. This only happens after sex though?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Yes. Again, about 1 day after sex it showed up.

Sorry for the delay. This could be folliculitis so try using Betadine scrub three times a week
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I can't find the "scrub" anywhere. Only the "solution". Will that work or do I need to find the scrub?

The solution is fine-just mix it with a liquid body soap