Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

Can you answer questions about bowel movement

Hello and welcome.

Sure, I can answer about the bowel movements.
Could you please elaborate your question?

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I got over a bout with thrush a week ago and with the med my gp gave me he also told me to eat yogurt . I did. Well I liked the yogurt and that became my breakfast and lunch with Granny Smith apples and lemon water. The yogurt changed my bowel movements. It was soft and had floating pieces. I've been over the thrush for a week but kept up that change in my diet. This past Sunday I had diarrhea took immodium It went away by that night. But now I can have 3-5 bowel movements a day. The stool is about the size of a cigar. No unusual color or odor. I think I'm paranoid. I did change my diet. No junk food especially sweets. I have one main meal which is dinner. I feel good, I lost 7 lbs in 14 days since I changed my diet. With the yogurt, apples and lemon water am I giving my self a natural clense? I just turned 50. I think I'm paranoid. Lol.

Let me at the outset tell you that your bowel movements and size do not point to any serious or concerning disease. This can occur due to;

1) change in diet.
2) alteration of the normal intestine bacterial flora. This may occur due to medications which you took for thrush and partly can be affected by the dietary change.
3) anxiety.

Usually your bowel changes should normalize in a week or less spontaneously. If 3-5 bowel movements persists for further 5-7 days or any new symptoms like abdominal pain, bloating, gas occur; you would need an examination of the stool, to ascertain the cause.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I haven't eaten yogurt in two days and that's when my bowel movement firmed up. I'm going to stop eating apples this weekend to see if there is a change. I read about Granny Smith apples and lemon water as a natural clense. I noticed less gas to. I feel the urge to go but I don't have to run to the toilet. Does it make sense to that the less intake of food the less amount of stool, not so much the frequency of bowel movements? And would the diarreha helped to clean me out so that I would have less stool backed up in me?
Yes, Granny Smith apples and lemon water can act as natural cleanse. There can be change in amount of stool and frequency of bowel movements which may be more than normal. This phenomenon is not unusual. Diarrhea in your case can be a cleansing action of the lemon and apples as we discussed and thus less stool backed up in you. Again from the medical point of view the questions are;

Are these symptoms serious or significant? No.
Are these pointer to an evaluation immediately? No

Thus nothing to worry. Please do not get anxious.

It is privilege assisting you.