Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

I have joint and muscle pain in my knee caps, hips, shoulders,

Customer Question

I have joint and muscle pain in my knee caps, hips, shoulders, and fingers. It has been 3 days. It starts in early evening and gets worse at night time. I would wake up with some pain and stiffness but the pain slowly goes away in the mid day. Then it comes back around 5:00 pm. I am an Asian female and 44 years old. I started running, mild weight training, and adding protein powder into my diet. I am 166 cm and 135 lb. I drink one cup of light coffee in the morning. I do not have too much fat, salt, and sugar in my diet. I do not smoke or abuse alcohol. What is wrong with me?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 10 months ago.
Hi--do you have any medical conditions? Any fever or rash?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I had rashes on my calves, neck, and upper arms for about one month but they started to go away. They looked like hives. It was very itchy at night time. Now I still have some around my ankles but the other rashes are gone. The rashes around my ankles are still itchy at night time. I had a low grade fever (37.9 c) about 2 weeks ago but it went away over night.

OK--have you had any sore throat, earache, cough?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

No.

Just wanted to add that my rashes seem to reoccur every summer when it is humid and hot (I live in Hong Kong). So I did not pay too much attention to it.

And any medical conditions?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I sometimes would have a bit of headache due to my neck problem. There is one part of the back of neck, the bone (disc?) seems to be sticking out a bit and it is very sore sometimes.

I had my health check last year and all the numbers came out normal. I am generally a quite healthy person for my age. I do yoga once a week to help with my neck problem.

This morning when I woke, the pain is not there but the whole body (especially my finger and toes) is quite stiff.

OK--and we can continue after this if you'd like. I can't give you just one diagnosis here, but you need evaluation for this. The possibilities include what's called a poststreptococcal arthritic reaction (after a strep infection that hasn't been treated with antibiotics), Lyme disease (even if you don't have any recollection of being bitten by a tick), an autoimmune disorder like lupus or polymyalgia rheumatica, and--sorry for mentioning it but I have to include it in the differential--the early reaction to HIV infection. You need blood work to check for all those possibilities.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

What is polymyalgia rheumatica?

It's an autoimmune disorder like lupus and rheumatoid arthritis that can present as diffuse joint and muscle pain. You need an autoimmune screen that would include antinuclear antibody, rheumatoid factor, sed rate, and C reactive protein
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

So you think it something related to my immune system? Would blood checking be the first step to proceed in order to find out more of my problem?

I'm just saying that it could be that but I gave you other possibilities too. Yes--you need blood work that would also include a Lyme titer, a streptococcal antigen screen, and a screening for HIV to cover all the bases here.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thank you, Dr Chip.

Peilin

My pleasure Peilin but please let me know how it goes and call on me anytime