Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

Hello, Dr. David, I have severe acid reflux and was prescribed

Hello, Dr. David,

I have severe acid reflux and was prescribed Dexilant. It is helping my symptoms tremendously, but I'm noticing that my fingernails and toenails have become quite brittle. I have always had very strong nails, so this is quite disturbing. Is this a side effect of the Dexilant? Is there anything I can do to strengthen my nails while I remain on this medication?

Thank you!
Hi--do you have any other medical conditions and take any other medications?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No other conditions and no other medications.

OK--any problems with weight gain or fatigue?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes and yes!

Have you discussed this with your doctor and gotten any blood work?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've discussed the weight gain and fatigue; the last bloodwork came back excellent, not even anemic. But that was a year ago.

Was your thyroid function tested?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes--again, a year ago. At the time, it came out well also. My Dr. did suggest that we test it again, though.

So sorry for the delay--computer problems. Just one more question--any problems with you skin?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That's all right.

Up until recently, once I started menopause, my skin cleared up after years of acne. In the past few weeks (I've been on Dexilant for about two months now), I've noticed a bit more acne now. But I've also added ginger to my morning smoothies, which I wonder if that's causing skin problems to flare up. Otherwise, no new skin issues of note.

OK. While some of this could be from the Dexilant, since it can cause a magnesium and vitsmin D deficiency, you need your thyroid rechecked as well as your cortisol levels and your estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone levels since abnormalities there could also be the problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX One more thing: If magnesium and Vitamin D are the issue, would supplementing these while on Dexilant be potentially harmful?

No, in fact you'd need to do that but you should first have you levels checked before you do
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I understand. Thank you so much for your help and thorough advice!

My pleasure and call on me anytime