Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years

This question is about my Dad. He says that whenever he strains

Customer Question

This question is about my Dad. He says that whenever he strains Forma bowel movement he gets a pain on the top Of his head and then it goes away. Could this be just from straining?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 10 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer website.
Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

Do you pass hard stools?
Do you have constipation?
How long are you having this problem?
Any other health or medical problems?
Do you suffer from anxiety or severe stress?

Thanks
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It is not me. This question is for my Dad.. He said it just started this week. He has had problems with his bowels on and off over the years. I don't know if the stools are hard or not.. He does have High Blood Pressure which is controlled by medication. He is usually pretty even tempered.
Kathy, Thanks for all these additional details.
I am sorry to hear about your dad's problems.

If his stool is hard and he have to strain in passing stool then it can cause the pain in top of his head.

Migraine can also be associated reason.
Sometimes brain lesion like tumor can also cause it. These headaches may be the first and earliest warnings of brain aneurysms.

He should keep bowel soft, this will be more helpful.
He should take plenty of fresh fruits, vegetables, fluid to keep the bowel soft.
He should take bulk-forming laxatives like Metamucil.
If this doesn't help then take stimulant suppositories containing bisacodyl can be used.
Glycerol suppositories act as a 'stimulant' within the rectum, encouraging the passing of stools

Fiber is one of the mainstays in the treatment of constipation.
High-fiber foods include beans, whole grains and bran cereals, fresh fruits, and vegetables such as asparagus, brussels sprouts, cabbage, and carrots. He need to increase the quantity of fruits and vegetables as they contain lots of fiber.

It is possible that he may be suffering from migraine headache, it can get aggravated by bowel movements. The best best initial medication for migraine is- Sumatriptan (Imitrex). Also It may takes several weeks to start to work. Several weeks of anti-inflammatory (steroid) medicines such as prednisone can also be advised. And Ergotamine and caffeine combination drugs (Migergot, Cafergot) can be prescribed.

Also headache during a bowel movement is associated with increased incidences of high blood pressure and heart problems.

Some headaches occur with exertion, especially with activities that tense or contract the abdominal muscles or increase the pressure in the chest. This includes straining on the toilet.

Most likely, symptoms are related with straining, and would get resolve by keeping bowel movements soft. Most likely, this is not related with any serious issue.

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business

Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience: Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If it were anything other than from the straining would he most likely have other symptoms? We do have an appt. with our Doctor today to discuss this.
Kathy, I can understand your concern.

His symptoms are most likely related with straining. It doesn't sounds to be related with any serious issue.

Migraine is usually associated with nausea, flashes of light, throbbing pain on one side of the head. It doesn't sounds to be any serious issue like tumor.

Also as he also has normal CT scan, few months back, so no need to get panic for tumor or other serious issue.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It was me that had the CT scan done a few months back not him but thanks so much for the information I do appreciate it.
Kathy, Thanks for clarification.

Most likely, as per the description, his symptoms have come due to straining.
This is not related with tumor or any serious issue.
His symptoms would get resolve by keeping bowel movements soft.
This is not related with any serious issue.

Take care.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks so much. As I said I do appreciate it. You have put my mind somewhat at ease.
Kathy, Most Welcome and thanks for using justanswer service.
May God bless you and your family.

Take care.