Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
Experience:  17 yrs experience in treating OPD & Emergency patients.
11269312

Keep hearing conflicting results about eggs. Im currently

Keep hearing conflicting results about eggs. I'm currently body building and am eating about six eggs per day (three days straight so far) with the yolks.

I'm recovering faster and am still loosing body fat. Best part is I don't have that "starving" feeling that I had from just eating a ton of chicken with a potato ea/ day.

My cholesterol isn't "high" but my doctor has told me it would be nice to lower it just a bit and increase my ldl. Because I'm excerising A LOT more now, I figure I'm currently doing that.

Basically, I hear that dietary cholesterol in eggs has nothing to do with high blood level cholesterol. Other are saying if I have more than one egg per week I'm asking for trouble.

Which is it?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

I am Dr. P. Jyoti, MD. I promise to use my full experience and knowledge to provide answers specific to your question. Feel free to ask me anything.

Dr. P. Jyoti :

Hello would you like to chat on this? Please type into your message box and press 'enter' or 'reply' to send the message so that we can have a live chat.

Customer:

Yes

Dr. P. Jyoti :

hello

Customer:

Hey how are you?

Customer:

Good to hear from you

Dr. P. Jyoti :

the basic thing about eggs is that the yolks contain the cholesterol and the white contains proteins only

Dr. P. Jyoti :

6 egg yolks a day are a bit too much and that is what is causing your raised cholesterol

Dr. P. Jyoti :

so you can have all the egg white you want, but do not take too much cholesterol

Customer:

How many yolks a day should I eat given that I'm lighting weights?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

i would not advise more than a yolk a day

Dr. P. Jyoti :

specially since your cholesterol is already a bit high

Dr. P. Jyoti :

so stick to one yolk a day

Dr. P. Jyoti :

but you can continue to have the 6 egg whites

Dr. P. Jyoti :

in fact, most bodybuilding routines advise this

Dr. P. Jyoti :

take care

Dr. P. Jyoti :

If the question has been answered to your satisfaction, you need to rate my service positively.

Rating system is the row of faces below - click on a happy face to give a good rating. Bonus is always welcome Thank you.
Dr. P. Jyoti

Dr. P. Jyoti :

any further questions?

Customer:

Any insights on why some are saying that dietary cholesterol doesn't matter?

Dr. P. Jyoti :

well, there is lots of misinformation on the net