Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.

My 9 year old sons head MRI shows tiny focus of high signal

My 9 year old son's head MRI shows tiny focus of high signal intensity on the right frontal and parietal lobes, Also slightly short corpus callosum as well as pineal gland cyst measuring 10X9X5 mm.
Could you interpret this,please.
Hello and welcome, I am happy to help you today.

There are significant findings on the MRI that will need clinical corelation and follow up.

Does your child have seizure?

What are his clinical symptoms?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He has a diagnosis of Autism;no seizures;beha/emotional irregulation as well as a whole spectrum of other symptoms. He is verbal,perfect gross motor skills,affectionate. Extremely moody and unpredictable behavior, hypersensitivity to sounds,even the ones barely audible to a regular person.

Thanks for your reply , Maxim.

The MRI findings like the short corpus callosum is likely to be congenital meaning that he was born with this biological shortcoming.

However, the"high signal intensity" tiny focus could either be a new one or may have been there earlier( as I do not know about his earlier MRI reports , if any). This needs to be followed up clinically. If he does not have seizure, it is a good sign.

The pineal gland cyst is a benign clinical entity but you have to discuss this with a pediatric neurosurgeon, if the cyst can be removed.

So, my suggestion would be to consult / make appointment with a neurologist followed by a neurosurgeon, if there is any possibility for surgical removal of the pineal gland cyst.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Please remember to rate my service positive once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you! Bonuses would be appreciated.

I hope your child keeps well.

God bless.

For new or follow up questions, please request me as Dr. Bora in the opening statement of the question.