Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

My son hit a tree with his fist and now he has quite a swollen

My son hit a tree with his fist and now he has quite a swollen hand slight bruising. He says that it swells up and then goes down?
Hi--when did this happen? Any bruising? How's the function in the fingers?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Last night/some bruising and 2 of his fingers aren't moving. Pinkie and ring finger knuckle where attaches to hand cant bend.

OK--as for the swelling going up and down, that's just a function of how much inflammation there happens to be at the time. Bruising usually indicates a fracture and from what you've told me, he may have at the least an avulsion fracture of the 5th metacarpal--the hand bone just behind his pinky. If that's a severe avulsion, unless he has surgery for it he could well have permanent disability of that finger. So, although this could just be a contusion and not much damage done, you really need to get him to a doctor for an exam and x-rays of the hand.