Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

My friends daughter has started having convulsions, he said

My friends daughter has started having convulsions, he said one day they were bike riding and the next day is started happening. She is hospitalised. I guess I am a little worried but what can cause that
Hi--do you have any details at all as to what exactly happened? How old is she and do you know if she has any medical conditions?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't know, I think she is 4 years old, not aware of any medical conditions. What are the general causes for convulsions in kids?

So in other words she seemed to have an epileptic seizure?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

she is my friends daughter, so I don't know all the details, he said convulsions, so I imagine that is what is meant

Well, in a child that age, it could be the first sign of epilepsy and not have a specific cause. She needs an MRI of the brain and an EEG to look for an epileptic focus, and sometime it can be from a brain tumor, a previous head injury, even a hemorrhagic stroke. There are, of course, febrile seizures in kids and those aren't too serious. Possibly it could be from very low blood sugar or from electrolyte imbalance. I really can't tell you anything more specific without any more information, but that isn't your fault.