Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  30 years of experience
8227957

How much time does it take for hormonal birth control (pills)

How much time does it take for hormonal birth control (pills) to be effective?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question,

I’m Dr. Saha and I’ll try to help you.

Are you taking any pill?

Which one are you taking?

When have you started it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I haven't been taking anything, and I haven't started it yet. I will pick up the prescription today, and I'm not sure which one it will be.

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the information,

If you start within first 5 days of the start of period, it can work soon after starting.

When first started, sometimes it can take a week to have maximum effect.

So we usually advise to use additional birth control measures like condom during the first week.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Regards.
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 30 years of experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your response. I picked up the prescription today and started taking it today. It is levonorges-eth estra (Levlen, Levora). I read in the prescription literature that if the patient starts taking it on the first day of her period, she does not need to use back-up birth control during the first week.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

And I started my period today, the same day I started the pills.

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
I have mentioned earlier that starting pills during first few days of period, pill will be effective soon.

As you have started on the first day of period, during menstruation days the hormone levels of the pills will be settled.

Ovulation is rare during period time.

So,back up method will not be required.
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 30 years of experience