Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I have a question about my inability to focus and get things

I have a question about my inability to focus and get things done. I'm 48 , single and recently had some big life changes - death of a parent, moved to home town to care for parents, sold my house, moved in with elderly father, ended a 25 year friendship. I am tired all the time, suffer from insomnia, I work from home and have become lazy, messy and don't seem to care about much. I am having real difficulty concentrating on work - am missing deadlines, forgetting meetings.....I'm terrified that this is all going to catch up with me. The only thing I am interested in is reading books on my kindle and hibernating in my (very messy) bedroom. I'm not suicidal by any means...but don't care about anything and am starting to have to lie to cover up my lethargy. I am usually a problem solver - this isn't a normal or acceptable way to live for me - but I'm not sure where to start to fix it. Any suggestions for wht kind of doctor to start with? Thx so much for any guidance you can give me.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi--how long has all this been going on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's been going on for a few months- but gotten worse in the last month, to the point that my job performance is suffering and people are starting to notice some changes in me. (Lack of interest/energy, missing deadlines, messy bedroom/car)
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I see. What do you do for fun or what did you do for fun before this started?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not much- recently moved to the town where I grew up and with the exception of some relatives- I gaven't made too many friends yet - so I spend most of my free time reading - which is a little isolating since I work from home. I've realized that this is a problem and just joined a meetup group and a charity organization in the new town- but events don't start until September
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--I noted that you said you weren't suicidal but has it occurred to you that this seems to be indicative of a fairly serious depression problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think that could be the case....this isn't normal for me. I've always been social, neat with pride in my home/living space and a top performer at work, not the case right now.... So how do I get this fixed? I can Google depression for more info - but should I start with my primary care doctor? What would you suggest?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
So sorry for the delay--my computer was down. We can continue after this but from what you've already told me it sounds like a fairly severe depression problem. I would start with your primary because first off you need to have your thyroid function, cortisol levels and a screen for EBV virus to look for chronic fatigue syndrome just to make sure that there isn't a physical reason for your problem. That said, I would have you see either a clinical psychologist or a psychiatrist for therapy. You may need antidepressant medication like Zoloft or Effexor, but a lot of what you've told me sounds like situational depression--you have reasons for being depressed--and not a "chemical imbalance" depression, and that responds to therapy moreso than just antidepressant medication.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice