Dr. Nitika
Dr. Nitika, Doctor
Experience:  General Physician experience in Medicine, Integrative, CAM

I have a few pumps on my glans

Customer Question

I have a few pumps on my penis glans, which I've seen a doctor about twice and have been told is fine, but am wanting a second opinion. On the first occasion I visted the doctor (about 6 weeks ago) I had just one bump (which he looked at - and said it was probably nothing) and had a full STI test (blood and urine) which came back negative for everything.

About two weeks later I had noticed another bump so went back to check. Again he said it was probably nothing to get excited about. I thought it might be genital warts as it had a wart like appearance - but he said its unlikely to be anything serious and not contagious. I've now noticed a third bump emerging, as well as changes in the shape of the first bump and so am getting a tad concerned again.

About a week ago and a bit ago I started wondering if it might be something fungal, as for the four months or so prior I had noticed my scrotum had been dryer than usual and quite itchy (jock itch?). About 2 and a half months ago I had noticed some reddening of the glans, my foreskin feeling dryer and itchy as well, followed by an increase smegma under the glans. This eventually passed as well. I thought this might the result of the spreading of the Jock Itch (as I hadn't really done anything to treat it as I generally have dry skin on other parts of my body so thought it could be just that) so started thinking maybe this had spread to my glans and these bumps were some kind of reaction.

As a result I went and bought some clotrimazole cream and have been applying it to my groin and glans. So far I've noticed an improvement in the dryness of my scrotum, but not my change in the bumps on my glans. I do intend on giving it another week of cream to see if it changes and then heading back to the doctor (maybe a different one this time) but was wondering if you might have any ideas in the mean time. I will upload photos as soon as I can figure out how :) Thanks.

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Nitika replied 10 months ago.

As such usually the fungal infection is usually associated with itching and flaky skin.
Probably the presentation you describe especially scrotal areas may have fungal infection.
Usually fungal infection occurs in dry areas of the skin.
Also if the cream is helping with the dryness it can be continued.
But i don't think the bumps you describe on glan penis are related to fungal infection in any way.
If your routine STD test are negative proabably this should not be a serious condition.

Regarding HPV usually there is no diagnostic test for men.
And if you have a history of unprotected sex with unknown partner you should be further evaluated by a Skin and VD specialist at a GUM clinic instead of a regular doctor.

I hope this helps
Dr. Nitika, Doctor
Experience: General Physician experience in Medicine, Integrative, CAM
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for that,

Are you able to determine anything from the pictures I've since attached?

Frankly speaking i am unable to clearly see the bumps from these pictures and i do think they are small enough and may not be clinically significant as suggested by your doctor.

From the enlarged view i can see a bump which i think you have tear the area trying to pinch off the bump.

This don't seem to be bacterial STD like gonorrhoea or chlamydia.
I don't seem to be like genital herpes.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I havent tried pulling it off at all. It's kind of grown that way.

Does it look anything like HPV?

I am sorry for the delayed reply.
Initially the pictures were slow in loading so i was not able to properly see this bump.
Only on enlarged view it was visible.
If this bumps has grown on its own this can indeed be a warty growth.
You definetly need a second opinion and this time from a skin and VD specialist.