Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

I was hit directly in the face 4 weeks ago with a softball.

I was hit directly in the face 4 weeks ago with a softball. I suffered 3 fractures to my face. Of course afterwards, my left eye became swollen and black from the injury. It went away. 4 days ago I developed what seemed to be a stye in my left lower eyelid, however, it has continued to swell and doesn't seem to be like any stye I have had before. Today, my eye is very puffy and swollen underneath and almost has the same black spot (same spot) as it did right after the injury. Is it possible that this could be related in some way?
I am Dr. Arun and will be helping you today.

Does the swelling extend to the eyelids?
Do you remember the names of the bone of face which were fractured?
Do you have any vision problem, dizziness, nausea?
Any significant past medical history?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The swelling started in the lower eyelid and has spread all underneath now. Itches, but is very sore. No vision problems, no dizziness, no nausea, and no past medical history.

I do not know the names of the bones that were fractured, but the ball hit me directly in the nose and upper lip. One doctor mentioned something about one of the bones being fragmented.

Thanks for the further information.

This can be related to the injury 4 weeks ago. A tiny fragment of bone may injure the capillary (face is very vascular) which may trigger oozing again and can be responsible for your present symptoms. You may apply cold compresses, which may help in reducing the swelling. Ideally you should be seen by your doctor and an x-ray should be done again to review the healing of the bones.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.