911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

ConcI hit the back of my head on ceramic tiles today have

ConcI hit the back of my head on ceramic tiles today have been feeling funny all day light headed foggy can't think straight keep feeling like my mind is sort of going on and off if that makes any sense at all didn't really start till a few hours ago and I hit my head at 9 am today just wondering if I have a concussion and wat i should do
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question,

I’m Dr. Saha and I’ll try to help you.

The symptoms can be due to concussion.

The symptoms of brain injury can develop after a few hours.

You need an evaluation by doctor.

Concussion may need observation only.

A CT scan can be taken for evaluation to rule out any major trauma to brain, if doctor feels necessary.

I would suggest to go to hospital.

If you can not go now, you need to be closely observed by someone.

Feeling of nausea or vomiting, increasing headache , confusion, visual problems/blurred vision, weakness of a limb, slurred speech, stiffness of neck,unequal pupils or fluid discharge from nose or ear are some of the symptoms which needs to be observed in case of trauma to head.

If any such symptom develops, an emergency consultation is necessary.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Best wishes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so wat do we look out for if being monitored andi have a rather large sore lump on my head

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

How large is the lump?

Is the lump increasing in size?

In which part of head exactly?

I just noticed you rate my answer as poor service.

Would you please write where do you need clarification?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

am i allowed to sleep and if i wake up feeling fine is it still nessassary to see a doctor

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  911Doctor replied 1 year ago.

The answer provided above is a good answer.

That being said, if you did not lose consciousness and are not having nausea with vomiting then you can safely watch this at home.

Should you develop vomiting or increasing headache or confusion for the next 48 hours then you need to go to the ER. Your symptoms of 'fogginess' in your head COULD indicate that you should go now to the ER. The advantage of this, as explained above, is that you would get a good neurologic exam, and if any abnormalities were found on this exam a CT would be done.

We no longer recommend waking people up at night to make sure they are okay.

Without loss of consciousness you may safely wait this out and use Tylenol/paracetamol for headache.

Here is a good reference for you

And here is another

As you can see there is still disagreement amongst doctors about when to go. If you fell from standing and hit your head my preference would be for you to go now to the ER as that is a high energy injury. If you had the tile fall on your head then I would not.

Ultimately this has to be your decision. Dr Saha's answer is a good one. I am an ER doc and the key in OUR practice surrounds loss of consciousness, amnesia for the event, vomiting, and increasing headache. If you do not have those I think you are safe to try some Tylenol and rest. ANY change should prompt an immediate ER visit.

best

911Doctor, Doctor
Experience: Board Certified Emergency Physician