Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  30 years of experience

My toe has a small blister that I believe has become infected.

My toe has a small blister that I believe has become infected. It is red and warm to the touch and very painful. The pain has not moved outside the area of the blister itself. As I am out of the US at the moment and in a rural area, I will not be able to see a doctor in the immediate future, but I do have various basic antibiotics. Should I take something or would it be better to wait and see if it heals on its own?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your question,

I’m Dr. Saha and I’ll try to help you.

What is the color of the fluid inside the blister?

Is there any pus in it?

When did the blister develop?

How large is it now?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

The color of the fluid seems to be yellow-ish in color and tinged with blood.

I don't see any pus per se.

The blister developed about 2 days ago and has gotten progressively more painful. It is about a centimeter in diameter.

Is the skin intact or broken?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

The skin is broken. It ruptured last night (around 12 hours ago).

Thank you for the information,

Blister can develop from trauma/ friction which can contain blood in it.

This can be very painful.

In the early stage application of ice can help.

But at this stage you can apply local antibacterial cream like neosporin on it.

This will prevent infection & treat milder ones.

Regarding oral antibiotic you need an examination in person to determine whether it is infected actually & which antibiotic would be suitable.

You can take antiinflammatory analgesics like motrin or naproxen, if there is no other contraindication.

This will help with the pain.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Best wishes.
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 30 years of experience
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for the information. I have already bandaged the area and applied an antibacterial cream. However, as I am not able to go to a doctor soon, can you tell me what an indication would be that I should be more concerned with the blister? Also, if it continues to worsen, in your opinion would starting an oral antibiotic like amoxicillin be prudent?

You have done good things.

In most cases those will help.

When you remain indoor away from dust, you can prefer to keep the wound covered with antibiotic cream without bandage too.

This can help in drying up the wound.

If you see that there is frank pus discharge from the site along with smell, enlarging ulcer with swelling then it is likely to be infected & need oral antibiotic.

Though amoxicillin is used to treat an wound infection, I am not able to suggest you on line without examination.

I hope, you will understand my limitation here.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Thank you. This is very helpful.