Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  30 years of experience

I seem to have what I can describe as a pimple (sebaceous cyst)

I seem to have what I can describe as a pimple (sebaceous cyst) in my scrotum...There is 2 or 3 and they have been there for around 10 or more years and they are all very small. One of them over the last year has gotten quite big. Also, the last few days it's starting to hurt a very tiny bit mostly in terms of sensation. Is there anything I can do? Online research mentions castor oil..is there something else I can look at?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for your question,

I’m Dr. Saha and I’ll try to help you.

Cyst can be inflamed & can be associated with pain.

Cyst usually does not need much treatment.

You can apply warm moist compress over it.

You can take antiinflammatory analgesics like motrin or naproxen, if there is no other contraindication.

If those do not help, I would suggest to get an examination by your doctor.

Sometimes, there can be an infection & antibiotic can be needed.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Regards.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

It seems to have gotten bigger and looks a little red and is sensitive. The skin around it is also getting hard. Does continuously keeping a warm compress help? Why is it spreading?

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 7 months ago.
As it has got bigger & more sensitive, I would suggest to get it checked by doctor.

There can be an infection.

This can cause it to spread.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Castor oil treatment was suggested by a friend and I am trying it. How long wil it take to recover from this? I am very concerned about amputation.. is it very serious health issue?

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 7 months ago.
Is the skin intact or broken?

Is there any discharge from it?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

skin is intact. No discharge but the skin around it is getting a little hard.

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 7 months ago.
Castor oil may not be much effective here.

However, you need not to fear about amputation.

In case of infection early start of treatment would be helpful.

Please get it examined by your doctor.

It is not a very serious health issue.
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 30 years of experience
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up with you to see how are you feeling now.
Wish your healthy life.
In case you need further help, please let me know,

Dr Saha